After Market Intake Stutter

ES14

I have a 3rd gen trd sport with an aftermarket cold air intake and an overland tune. Sometimes around 3000 RPMs my intake will stutter like it doesn’t know how much air to pull. The guy who installed my tune told me this might happen as the MAF is in a different position than stock and it doesn’t communicate as well. Are there any aftermarket intakes that have the same MAF position as stock, or is there any way to fix this without putting the stock air box back on?

From some experience I've seen with various manufactures, even if you use some of these aftermarket air cleaners it can screwup the operation of the vehicle. The 3rd gen tacoma already has a very good intake system that can't be improved on for a near stock engine unless the operator desires hearing more intake noise. I would suggest returning to what this truck originally came with....engineers are not stupid.

From some experience I've seen with various manufactures, even if you use some of these aftermarket air cleaners it can screwup the operation of the vehicle. The 3rd gen tacoma already has a very good intake system that can't be improved on for a near stock engine unless the operator desires hearing more intake noise. I would suggest returning to what this truck originally came with....engineers are not stupid.
True, I was hoping I could keep it for the intake sound but I’m gonna have to go back to stock solely so it can function properly again. Thanks for your input

Nothing screams power like an engine stumbling as it enters the power curve.

Stay with the OEM CAI. There is nothing in the aftermarket world that is better.

I think Anderson engineering manufactures an intake manifold runner kit to boost torque, and hp on a stock 3.5 3rd gen tacoma. It's not a throttle body spacer, but an actual intake manifold spacer that will increase the length of the individual intake runners to the cyl. heads.

I think Anderson engineering manufactures an intake manifold runner kit to boost torque, and hp on a stock 3.5 3rd gen tacoma. It's not a throttle body spacer, but an actual intake manifold spacer that will increase the length of the individual intake runners to the cyl. heads.
Thanks I’ll look into that

Have you ever looked into the stock intake but replacing the resonator assembly with a straight tube into the air box? I’m seeing that that could be a better option for improving sound while keeping it stock

Haven't messed with these 3.5 engines, but have experimented with resonance tuned air box's on 2 strokes. They absolutely work when used on that engine. Found running a straight gutted air box will deliver less fuel economy, and performance.

Haven't messed with these 3.5 engines, but have experimented with resonance tuned air box's on 2 strokes. They absolutely work when used on that engine. Found running a straight gutted air box will deliver less fuel economy, and performance.
I see I’ll have do do more research on it beforehand

I put the stock box back on last night with a K&N filter and it runs beautifully with my tune. That aftermarket intake was definitely garbage for my engine. Also when I opened up my hood the filter was laying in the heat shield unattached lol so that’s even better
A lot of that intake stuff is for an engine with mods. Stock, it’s a waste of money.

Even those K&N filters can be problematic fouling the maf sensor. I ran one on my tundra after installing a dual exhaust system. It didn't like the K&N as it allowed more very fine dirt to go through the engine. I switched to a wix air filter that performed just as good plus it didn't foul the maf sensor.

Those "High Flow" performance filters are not good for a daily driver.

They will pass more air because the filter mesh is more coarse. This also means more and larger dirt particles will also enter the engine.

These are used for race engines which are frequently torn down, inspected, repaired, tuned........pampered to reach peak performance. Daily driver engines are not subject to such maintenance or need peak performance.

Wix are some of the best available.

Even those K&N filters can be problematic fouling the maf sensor. I ran one on my tundra after installing a dual exhaust system. It didn't like the K&N as it allowed more very fine dirt to go through the engine. I switched to a wix air filter that performed just as good plus it didn't foul the maf sensor.
That’s interesting, I got it thinking about getting the AFE I never thought that was a possibility. So is there anything I can do to make it not sound so much like a lawn mower? Obviously it’s a v6 so it won’t ever sound great or be super powerful but I’m really not a fan of the overall stock sound. I was thinking maybe the trd pro exhaust but I’m worried it will sound like a ricer with any other exhaust.

I don't have any Taco V6 experience tuning, and really haven't paid much attention to the stock exhaust. I've only had a couple of cars with NA V6s, mostly inline-6s. One in particular was a 1990 Ford Taurus SHO that I bought new. It had a very quiet exhaust.

I tried everything to get it to have a better sound. Everything sounded awful. I put the stock mufflers back on, as the silence was better than the awful racket the aftermarket mufflers put out. I then replaced the middle silencers with glass pack mufflers.

This really woke the sound up. On startup and idle, it had an almost V8 rumble, while not really loud, you could hear it from several feet away and knew it wasn't a garden variety Taurus. While driving on the highway, there wasn't any drone, and was comfortable. When WOT and redlining gearshifts, it had a shriek more akin to a Ferrari than a family sedan.

That’s interesting, I got it thinking about getting the AFE I never thought that was a possibility. So is there anything I can do to make it not sound so much like a lawn mower? Obviously it’s a v6 so it won’t ever sound great or be super powerful but I’m really not a fan of the overall stock sound. I was thinking maybe the trd pro exhaust but I’m worried it will sound like a ricer with any other exhaust.
V6's always sound like chit whenever you try to make the exhaust sound louder. Only one I've heard thats tolerable is the TRD one. Imo, you can take all the others, and use them as scrap metal. When it comes to v6 exhausts...give me stock any day. Only thing worse is a young squid with a large fart can on a Honda.

I don't have any Taco V6 experience tuning, and really haven't paid much attention to the stock exhaust. I've only had a couple of cars with NA V6s, mostly inline-6s. One in particular was a 1990 Ford Taurus SHO that I bought new. It had a very quiet exhaust.

I tried everything to get it to have a better sound. Everything sounded awful. I put the stock mufflers back on, as the silence was better than the awful racket the aftermarket mufflers put out. I then replaced the middle silencers with glass pack mufflers.

This really woke the sound up. On startup and idle, it had an almost V8 rumble, while not really loud, you could hear it from several feet away and knew it wasn't a garden variety Taurus. While driving on the highway, there wasn't any drone, and was comfortable. When WOT and redlining gearshifts, it had a shriek more akin to a Ferrari than a family sedan.
That is something that’s never crossed my mind, I’ll watch some videos and see If anyone’s tried that on a taco. Sounds like a lot of welding though and my welding skills are pretty terrible…

V6's always sound like chit whenever you try to make the exhaust sound louder. Only one I've heard thats tolerable is the TRD one. Imo, you can take all the others, and use them as scrap metal. When it comes to v6 exhausts...give me stock any day. Only thing worse is a young squid with a large fart can on a Honda.
Yeah exactly my fear about changing the exhaust, I guess my future mods are gonna be more cosmetic than anything else

Imo, owning toyota 4wd pickups since the late 70's, they really don't need much unless you're planning some serious off road use. Heck we trashed my new 1979 toyota 4wd pickup 700 miles north of Quebec's border in the woods up there during a weeks fishing trip, and made it back home. Thats when they were one tough little 4wd truck, not the porky behemoth they have become.

I love the Toyota trucks but the new Tacoma seems to be lacking that same style it used to have. I guess it’s just a regular daily now unless you dump thousands into it
Imo, owning toyota 4wd pickups since the late 70's, they really don't need much unless you're planning some serious off road use. Heck we trashed my new 1979 toyota 4wd pickup 700 miles north of Quebec's border in the woods up there during a weeks fishing trip, and made it back home. Thats when they were one tough little 4wd truck, not the porky behemoth they have become.

Back