JayQQ97

MW surVivor ... clutched. 346k on the 0D0
Whatever sealant I used last year turned to jank
I used linseed oil first to nourish the dried wood
Then a sealant that turned it sorta brown but very uneven all over
Now half of it's worn off

What product should be used that is long lasting
It only sees sun until 3pm or so

Suggest visiting a Sherwin-Williams store. Speak with the most experienced person there. The aprons in the Big Box stores generally are not good information sources.

You'll have a tough time getting anything to stay with the linseed oil base...................

Diamond Vogel store is usually the go-to store, which this product may or may not have come from
I emptied the pail and believe it is no longer to be found, but it may show up lol

somebody out there on the interWebs told me to 1st use linseed oil!

Yes, linseed oil is good. But it needs to be reapplied and it won't take a top coat well.

Since I spent a measurable amount of time last summer using linseed oil to nourish most all of the dry deck I cannot use any kind of stain now!

If the wood was treated with linseed oil already, you'd have to use only an oil based stain, and it should be ok.

that oil stain' 'should' make it all even out, the rails came out one colour, one section bright mahogany, and the middle was pasty patchy
ughhh
the wood is 3 decades old and a rotted post i have to find the time to figure it all out

that oil stain' 'should' make it all even out, the rails came out one colour, one section bright mahogany, and the middle was pasty patchy
ughhh
the wood is 3 decades old and a rotted post i have to find the time to figure it all out
Between your car, and truck....now the deck. You've got a lot to figure out.

Not much to figure out on a 30 yo wood deck with rotted posts. Remove, replace.

If one post is rotted, the others are probably in a similar condition. Framing is likely deteriorated too.

Back