Best Tires

A modern, properly designed and sized turbo will virtually eliminate lag. I have been building turbo engines since the early 80s, started with Ford's 2.3L Lima engines, back when turbo lag was measured in minutes (being sarcastic, but you could definitely count several Mississippi's). Nothing like having a 500hp Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the rain... (Garrett T4 in place of stock T3, plus fueling mods, charge cooler, water/alcohol injection and EEC-IV programming, 2.75bar).

Sadly, many manufacturers are just using a smaller turbo to eliminate turbo lag, and letting the engine run out of breath in the upper rpms. The new 2.3L turbo in the Ford Explorer runs out of breath about 2k rpm before redline, but has awesome torque and the engine feels much larger than it is. Mitsubishi does the same thing with the 1.6L turbo in the Eclipse Cross, but with the CVT, they keep it in the powerband more often. VW and their low horsepower version of the 1.8L turbo is a dog, but it was designed to be less expensive in base models and was designed more for economy than outright power. The Kia/Hyundai turbos are decent, the earlier 2.0L engines had some lag, but the later 1.6L and 2.0L turbos are much better in that regard.

Modern twin scroll turbos, like what BMW currently uses, turbo lag is milliseconds, and still has good power very near redline. As a matter of fact, BMW's N55 I6 single, twin-scroll turbo has boost earlier than their N54 I6 twin turbo set up (one small for low rpm, and one large for higher rpm). The earlier twin-turbo N54 I6 is still better at producing top end power, though. The newer BMW 2.0L turbos are just as good, and have a natural feel, until you get into a heavier 5-Series or fully optioned X3, then they start to feel a little low on power.

Another way to reduce turbo lag is to have a shorter distance from the turbo to the valves. The more piping between the turbo and valves tends to slow down boost production as there is more volume to fill. While more complex, a water to air charge cooler is the best to use, as the cooler can be placed immediately after the turbo and just before the throttlebody.

As far as oiling, that is very important, but modern turbos are more forgiving than those in the past. High quality, synthetic lubricants are a must if you want any turbo to last. I change the oil in "Rocket Pig" about every 7500 miles, but then again I use synthetic LiquiMoly, and the oil still looks good, and tests good as well. I could probably extend it to 10 to 15k, but I'll err on the side of caution with 440hp at the tire. Before starting the restoration on my Supra, it was changed every 5k miles with Royal Purple synthetic.

A modern, properly designed and sized turbo will virtually eliminate lag. I have been building turbo engines since the early 80s, started with Ford's 2.3L Lima engines, back when turbo lag was measured in minutes (being sarcastic, but you could definitely count several Mississippi's). Nothing like having a 500hp Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the rain... (Garrett T4 in place of stock T3, plus fueling mods, charge cooler, water/alcohol injection and EEC-IV programming, 2.75bar).

Sadly, many manufacturers are just using a smaller turbo to eliminate turbo lag, and letting the engine run out of breath in the upper rpms. The new 2.3L turbo in the Ford Explorer runs out of breath about 2k rpm before redline, but has awesome torque and the engine feels much larger than it is. Mitsubishi does the same thing with the 1.6L turbo in the Eclipse Cross, but with the CVT, they keep it in the powerband more often. VW and their low horsepower version of the 1.8L turbo is a dog, but it was designed to be less expensive in base models and was designed more for economy than outright power. The Kia/Hyundai turbos are decent, the earlier 2.0L engines had some lag, but the later 1.6L and 2.0L turbos are much better in that regard.

Modern twin scroll turbos, like what BMW currently uses, turbo lag is milliseconds, and still has good power very near redline. As a matter of fact, BMW's N55 I6 single, twin-scroll turbo has boost earlier than their N54 I6 twin turbo set up (one small for low rpm, and one large for higher rpm). The earlier twin-turbo N54 I6 is still better at producing top end power, though. The newer BMW 2.0L turbos are just as good, and have a natural feel, until you get into a heavier 5-Series or fully optioned X3, then they start to feel a little low on power.

Another way to reduce turbo lag is to have a shorter distance from the turbo to the valves. The more piping between the turbo and valves tends to slow down boost production as there is more volume to fill. While more complex, a water to air charge cooler is the best to use, as the cooler can be placed immediately after the turbo and just before the throttlebody.

As far as oiling, that is very important, but modern turbos are more forgiving than those in the past. High quality, synthetic lubricants are a must if you want any turbo to last. I change the oil in "Rocket Pig" about every 7500 miles, but then again I use synthetic LiquiMoly, and the oil still looks good, and tests good as well. I could probably extend it to 10 to 15k, but I'll err on the side of caution with 440hp at the tire. Before starting the restoration on my Supra, it was changed every 5k miles with Royal Purple synthetic.
So tell me Redneck, will the 4-cyl turbo charged engine be better or worse than the current 6-cyl for the 2024 Tacoma ? I get Rock62's point about "turbo lag" in post #60 but why in the world would Toyota put a lackluster motor in their newest model pickup truck ?

So tell me Redneck, will the 4-cyl turbo charged engine be better or worse than the current 6-cyl for the 2024 Tacoma ? I get Rock62's point about "turbo lag" in post #60 but why in the world would Toyota put a lackluster motor in their newest model pickup truck ?
I am actually hopeful for the new engines in the 2024 Taco. The 2.0L turbo in the Lexus wasn't too promising, it was decent, but was not a 3S-GTE. Power delivery was good, but it was a coarse engine, not as refined as it should be, especially when it was compared to the BMW 4-cylinder turbos. That engine would have really been at home in the Tacoma, but I understand that it was an expensive engine to manufacture.

With the new engine being a 2.4L, it has some displacement behind it. This is a good thing. Another good thing... Toyota does learn from their mistakes; look at the 7M-GTE that was in the MkIII Supra and compare it to the 2JZ-GTE that was in the MkIV Supra. In all fairness to the M family of engines, they were originally designed in the 60s, while the JZ family was all 80s.

Pairing that turbo engine with an electric motor, if used properly, there should not be any discernable lag. The electric motor should have instant torque, and be able to mask any lag from start to about 1600rpm. If you can detect any lag, it would probably be more imagined than real.

The T24A Hybrid Max version makes at least 60lb-ft more torque, ~1800rpm sooner, than the 4.0L 1GR V6 and ~2600rpm sooner than the current 3.5L 2GR V6, (1GR = ~280lb-ft @ 3800rpm, 2GR = ~265lb-ft @ 4600rpm, T24A = ~340lb-ft @ 2000rpm). In a truck, torque down low is a good thing. This gives you that "off the line" push you in the back of your seat feeling.

Remember when I said that displacement was a good thing? That is only part of this engine, the other part is a longer stroke than bore diameter (3.917" stroke vs. 3.445" bore), which helps torque production (the longer stroke acts like a longer lever in a way). Along with a high compression, 11.0:1, helps power production as well.

On paper, this engine looks to be better than the GR V6 engines. It looks to be a low stress engine, as turbos go, not like a normally aspirated engine, but compared to some other turbos engines, it does look good. I need to drive a Lexus RX500h to check this engine out.

All that being said... I want an inline-6 in a Tacoma!!! I would like to see an updated FZ engine (4.5L I6 used in the 90s Land Cruisers. Outside of a V12, I prefer I6s. But I am excited about the new engines in the 2024 Tacos. If my wife is able to climb in the new Taco, I may order one and put off getting an X3M Comp next year to replace Rocket Pig.

I'd like a 4.7 in mine and put the nose of a 4Runner on it .why can u get a 4.0 v6 in a 4Runner but not in a Tacoma that make no sense to me? WTF Toyota step up? My wife has a '16 X3 its got 2.8 turbo,its got some sack to it,but i dont find it comfortable the seats suck i'm to cramped in it . I'm 6'1" 200 hundo, she's 5'1" 100 ish . she loves it. And i believe the Limited Tacomas have 18" rims but the look narrow 7" maybe 265/65/18

Last edited:
Throw a turbo on my 3.5L please. That eco boost has some good efficiency. I drove 2 of them for work. Impressive little motor.

As far as AT tires, wheel size matters when it comes to different load ratings on a lot of the high end tire lines. Take the BFG KO2’s. They got 3 different load rating tires ranging from 4 ply 50# to 10 ply 60# E’s. There’s a vastly different stiffness and handling to them. In a small truck you don’t need E rated tires. The rub is these weird 16 and 17” wheels they have limited variances. Going up in rim size gets you more choices in what you want. A well balanced AT tire should get you through the slush, and handle well in the rain. Also the thing with AT’s they need to be balanced often or they’ll howl or rumble. Air pressure is another issue on them. And if you got rear end sauirrely throw some sand bags in the back

I'd like a 4.7 in mine and put the nose of a 4Runner on it .why can u get a 4.0 v6 in a 4Runner but not in a Tacoma that make no sense to me? WTF Toyota step up? My wife has a '16 X3 its got 2.8 turbo,its got some sack to it,but i dont find it comfortable the seats suck i'm to cramped in it . I'm 6'1" 200 hundo, she's 5'1" 100 ish . she loves it. And i believe the Limited Tacomas have 18" rims but the look narrow 7" maybe 265/65/18
Gotta love BMW with their model naming. Those 28i's don't have a 2.8, but rather a 2.0L 4. Those engines are rather strong, and were under rated from the factory

Getting this thread back on track...

Tires. I know my Taco isn't part of this generation, and my tires are good at the moment, I like to research things to death before I buy anything. Looking for stock size 265/70-16, currently has Michelin Defender LTX AT, and I like these very much. It just seems to have the right balance of "tough" looks and nice sound on the road. Looked for these, and found that these are not made anymore. They have an AT2, but not in this size.

I would like to stay with an all-terrain tire, but I want low noise and good grip in mud (specifically Georgia red clay :p ). I don't want something that can be heard a mile away, there are too many bro dozers around here, and I don't quite fit in that demographic.

I like the Coopers, mainly because those are still made in the USA, anyone have any experience with them? How about the BFG's? They look like they would be super loud though.

Hate to disappoint but I've seen D9 Cats get stuck in this mess.

I'm far from 4x4 experienced, I know that's a bit sad to be a redneck and the only 4x4 experience I have had is with my father's-in-law Z71at the landfill. Tried to start off, just spun. Put it in 4-Lo, selected low gear, pulled right out, back end started to come around, put some counter steer in, and pulled it out of the clay sideways.

This is also the place I seen the Cat stuck, one of the workers was turning everyone around and telling them to use the bins and trailers out front. I was in my rwd F250 tow rig with highway tires, I wasn't going to risk it.

I've had Cooper discoverers on my tundra they lasted 35 k ish I was happy but gas mileage wasn't. Then I got the Kuhmos. Exsta's had 2 sets of those liked them alot .but don't have to many sizes in 17".

The Kuhmos pretty good? I know for autocross they have a great, inexpensive tire, but for track use, inexpensive but not so competitive with longevity.

I really like the Coopers, as most of their line is still made in the USA and headquartered here as well, but I don't have any experience with them. I am almost tempted when the time comes to get a set.

I got way better gas mileage with the kuhmos my 286/60/18 s were 150 each got close to 50 k out of the Extra STX nice tire . They were round all the way around too! :)

My trucks Michelin defenders treads are at 6 and 7 currently measured and just shy of 100 thousand miles wheeled on them
I think I shall be needing some new shoes again sooner or later

Back