Bigger tires, locking front diff

15TacoPro

I purchased a low mileage 2015 TRD Pro last year and installed a front bumper with skid protection and very improved approach angle with a winch. I also installed a higher clearance rear bumper and substantial rock sliders. I took it on its first serious off road trip over Memorial Day. It is a very low mileage truck that still has the original 265-70-16 BFG All Terrain TAs. While all the factory toys are pretty marvelous (Atrac, locking rear diff, DAC), two things from the first trip are apparent:

First, more ground clearance would be nice. I love the existing factory suspension, so I don’t want to lift it any more than it is. What is the biggest tire I can put on the truck with the stock suspension and the 16 inch TRD Pro wheels with out screwing up the highway handling or rubbing on stuff I don’t want to rub on.

Second, a locking front differential is pretty necessary for the trails we want to cover. Has anyone tried the Eaton Elocker? It is the only electric front diff locker I have found. Is it hard to install? Does it function correctly? Are there any downsides?

IMG_5644.jpeg

Idk, not really into making these trucks into something there not. Cheaper in the long run to get a dirt bike if covering that terrain, and way faster to than screwing up a $50k truck.

Let's play a game of Lift with "Bigger Tires"

Say you pay big $$ for some 40" tires (outside diameter). Your current tires are about 34" (outside diameter). Cool a tire that is 6" bigger. Ahhhhh, but wait.............you don't get all 6" below the axle. Only half of that is below the axle, so you have gained 3".

Remember, I don't believe you can install 40" tires without serious modifications. Which will more than likely FUBAR the truck's ride and handling. Although, it'll be high on the bro point scale.

My Gem2 rides on 17" rims (OEM) with 265/65-17 tires. So, the outside diameter is 30". I can't say but I'm doubtful if you'll get a much bigger tire without modifications.

Don't forget with bigger, heavier tires you'll need to re-gear, or your truck will end up a dog using fuel like a hungry v8, not to mention put a serious strain on all your front end components. Just buy a dirt bike, and learn how to ride it. You'll be happier in the long run, plus you'll save a ton of money.

Ahh…But a dirt bike doesn’t get three people into Colorado elk hunting country in the snow. Tires are only 30.6 inch now, and I am hoping to gain maybe 1/2” to 1” more clearance with existing stock suspension. Taco Pro already has 3” lift from the factory. I’m not looking for more than that b

Imo, just that amount of tire lift is useless.....it's not enough to make a real difference, plus larger tires throw off your speedo reading, and hurt fuel economy. You gotta start with at least 2'' to accomplish anything. Just put on a set of good of stock size tires with the snow flake symbol like general A/T2's, or do a 2'' lift, and hope the best.
As far as deep snow...take up snowmobiling. It's amazing where you can go with them.

Actually, I have done this before with different vehicles and I do know what I am doing and what I am talking about. Re-read the original post: the question is not whether slightly taller tires are a good idea. The speedometer already reads 3 mph fast at factory settings and 1/2” more clearance will help. All I want to know is if anyone has tried slightly taller tires on stock TRD Pro wheels, and how tall can I go without rubbing.

I am nearly certain 265-75-16 will fit easily (1” larger diameter and 1/2” narrower) without rubbing. The bigger question is whether or not 285-75-16 (2” larger diameter) will fit without rubbing.

All i can comment is, I've heard the tallest tire for a stock gen3 would be 32'' with out rubbing. I don't know if the gen2 is similar. It's not easy wanting to go to heaven without dying first.

Last edited:
Back