Build your own tacoma

nikitalynn14

Hello, I have a question for those of you who built your own Tacoma. I am being told that I have to place a deposit and wait for Toyota to decide to build exactly what I want then have that exact build allocated to my dealer at an unknown time. During this process I do not get to know how much the final price will be. This does not make sense to me. Has anyone had this experience

Your deposit will hold a place in the production schedule. They build more than one model, so the schedule is coordinated with the supply chain and orders. Its a factory, not a restaurant.

The price of everything is a moving target.

Suggest you find something close to what you are looking for on the lot. Or wait.

? Makes no sense. Dealer I worked with told me to go online and build my truck. There was a suggested retail on the spec. I emailed it to him, and he quoted me under sticker. (Late January 2017) Truck came off the line and some items were installed off line. Truck came in as ordered and I took delivery mid March. I wasn’t asked for a deposit or partial payment because if I backed out, they could sell it to someone at sticker or above quickly. (this insured I’d pick it up promptly. I was given 3 days after it was PDI’d to pick it up.)

? Makes no sense. Dealer I worked with told me to go online and build my truck. There was a suggested retail on the spec. I emailed it to him, and he quoted me under sticker. (Late January 2017) Truck came off the line and some items were installed off line. Truck came in as ordered and I took delivery mid March. I wasn’t asked for a deposit or partial payment because if I backed out, they could sell it to someone at sticker or above quickly. (this insured I’d pick it up promptly. I was given 3 days after it was PDI’d to pick it up.)
Everyone is telling me there have been major changes since 2020

When I put a request in for my 2020 sr5 v6, I wanted certain things, but was forced to accept other stuff that came in their tech packages. Yes, you can negotiate with their sales people...I did my entire transaction over the phone, and fax after being transferred to their sales manager. We went back, and forth on a few items, till we finalized the build, and total cost out the door. They took my credit card, and put it on file as the agreed amount would be paid in full by my personal check when I picked it up. About 10 weeks later I was driving my tacoma home. When I was at this dealership, it was a fairly painless experience signing all the paperwork, till I got introduced to their guy selling extended warranties, which didn't go well. He started giving me all sorts chit the kind of failure's these trucks can have, and I kept telling him no I didn't want any extended warranty. I did not leave on friendly terms with this person.

I told the sales dude exactly what I wanted when I bought mine in 2018.

Dark gray, access cab, V6, 4x4, and air conditioning. Told him I didn't give a crap about anything else. I figured it would take them a while to find one. That was Halloween afternoon.

They called me the next morning to come pick it up. I was most happy! Actually never did much to it, new wheels and tires, T Rex grill, and had the back windows limo tinted.

Took this the day I picked it up.

KFP_2595_1-X3.jpg

I told the sales dude exactly what I wanted when I bought mine in 2018.

Dark gray, access cab, V6, 4x4, and air conditioning. Told him I didn't give a crap about anything else. I figured it would take them a while to find one. That was Halloween afternoon.

They called me the next morning to come pick it up. I was most happy! Actually never did much to it, new wheels and tires, T Rex grill, and had the back windows limo tinted.

Took this the day I picked it up.

KFP_2595_1-X3.jpg
From the looks of the truck, you got more than you asked for.....it's pretty close to what I have, just a different. color.

Back