Can my truck tow this boat

PeterSalvadore

Hey all -

There is a boat I am considering buying. Sea Ray 21 foot boat - 3,400 lbs dry weight. Comes with a tandem trailer.

Would my 2021 Toyota Tacoma SR 5 V6 be able to handle it? I don't have the tow package. I'd be transporting it ~250 miles.

Without the tow package? When did toyota not have it on this truck? Thought they did. Its on my 2020 sr5. I'd say the truck should have no issue once you put on the hitch, and required electrical's for the trailer brakes, and brake controller.

Check the tag on the door frame of the driver's side. It will give you the towing capacity from the factory. Note if you are ever stopped that's what the cops will look at. And if you are over that weight, even though you make mods, some will ticket you and park you until you get a vehicle rated for the tow.

The v6 gen3 auto tacoma is rated to tow at least 6500 lbs. Problem could be without the tow package, the truck may not have come with some type of transmission cooler. You'd want to check for one.

FWIW. Dry weight means little.

Once you load the boat with fuel, oil, gear, life jackets, cooler....... You will be over the 3500 lb tow rating. Does the boat dry weight include the trailer weight?

Sure, you will be able to pull it. But, will you be able to stop it? Or have control in an emergency avoidance maneuver?

The point, there are more things to consider than just being able to pull it down the road.

You don't want a situation with the tail wagging the dog.

Back