Cowl drain location

toddcripe

Need help with my 1999 Pre-runner. It's in really good condition for its age. I've checked in other posts here and searched via google and can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for to my question: where does the passenger side cowl water drain exit?

I have the windshield wipers off and have the cowl cover removed, but the design of these first gen trucks makes it impossible to see the passenger side drain from the top and my hands are too big to get in there and feel around. The only water drain I see on the firewall is for the A/C.

Pretty sure my passenger side drain is clogged and causing water to get in on the passenger side floor. I've already eliminated the a/c drain being plugged up, window is fully sealed. All the rubber gaskets are in good shape. Only logical explanation is that the cowl drain is clogged so when it rains hard, it doesn't drain and water is coming in one of the seams. This only started happening recently. Appreciate any help.

I will take a wild stab at this
It may be accurate or it may not be
If you open the door and look forward in the crack near the bottom there is a small cubby... Mine usually has a bunch of leaves and stuff in there lol

You can access that area better by removing mudflap and pulling the wheelhouse liner back a bit
May have to remove other parts like a fender flare or arch moldings

If you open the door and look forward in the crack near the bottom there is a small cubby... Mine usually has a bunch of leaves and stuff in there lol

You can access that area better by removing mudflap and pulling the wheelhouse liner back a bit

Do you have any pics?
I can send you a pic of the molding removed and my carpet getting dried out by a space heater. I'm tempted to cut an access hole in the top of the cowl then fabricate a replacement piece that can be removed the next time this happens.

That's helpful. Gotta do the Valentine thing tonight but I'll check that out tomorrow. Thanks!

Do you have any pics?
This looks like it might be the drain inside the fender. if it is, compressed air won't go through it so it's either severely clogged up or it has a one way valve on it. Looks like I'll have to take off fender to get at it on bottom of cowl.

Attachments

• cowl drain 02-15-2024.jpg
    cowl drain 02-15-2024.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 6
  • inner fender 02-15-2024.jpg
    inner fender 02-15-2024.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 5
Do you have any pics?
This looks like it might be the drain inside the fender. if it is, compressed air won't go through it so it's either severely clogged up or it has a one way valve on it. Looks like I'll have to take off fender to get at it on bottom of cowl.

Attachments

• cowl drain 02-15-2024.jpg
    cowl drain 02-15-2024.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 5
  • inner fender 02-15-2024.jpg
    inner fender 02-15-2024.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 5
wow! that is interesting that there is a rubber drain hose behind there
i was not aware of that being there, never had the liners off that far or anything like that

so i wonder how all those leaves and stuff get behind down there on my truck now

Last edited:
looking at a parts diagram
i bet that is the antenna bottom? and not a drain

1708014460026.png

I had a 2001 tundra that had similar problems dripping water under the dash on the passenger side. It turned out these small white plastic grommets under the wiper shroud were dry rotted allowing rain water to leak through the firewall into the cab. I took rtv sealant, and pasted gobs of it over these grommets. Never leaked again.

Last edited:
You're probably right. There's a skinny black wire or tube that goes alongside the plastic tube. So, i'm still stumped and no one seems to know what the answer to the question is. Where's the damn drain hose for the passenger side of the cowl?
i really do not know lol!

can you pour some water on the other side up top and see where that side drains?

i suppose it to be open drain if i get those leaves inside there every fall that has to be vacuumed out

the Gen2 tacoma is MUCH worse getting the leaves stuck down there

Heck see the gen3 for this...I have no clue where all these whirlybirds keep coming from. Nearest maple tree is at least 70 yards away.

Last edited:
Back