Crawler diff problems

Goose96

I bought a 1996 Tacoma with no rear diff. Big wheels and the owner mumbled something about “geared down”. The price was right, the truck is cool. I can’t find parts for the diff. Couldn’t find the gear ratio til I jacked it up and turned it by hand. 5.25:1? Anyone know of or have such a low geared off roader? Where do I get parts?

Well, I'm no expert on the rear diffs, but I think the original has been swapped.

That will be a gas station hound. Stop at every station for a quick piddle. Like a dog on a walk.....stop at every tree for a piddle.

You may be ahead to replace the rear axle as an assembly with an OEM diff and return to stock sized tires.

I'm assuming you want to return the truck to a daily driver.

Last edited:
If the final ratio is 5.25/1, I hate to see what rpm you're turning at 60 mph. You'd be needing engine work at 50k miles.

Oh.....I had another thought.....

If the truck has been converted to a dedicated crawler, then the front axle and Xfer case may have been altered too.

Oh.....I had another thought.....

If the truck has been converted to a dedicated crawler, then the front axle and Xfer case may have been altered too.
Yes. I’m sure they are. It can stay a crawler. It doesn’t need to leave my farm. But I need to find specialty parts. Thanks for the reply.

Can you go back to the seller to ask what was involved in the modification??

You could be looking at a pretty involved job if you need to change the gear sets. May involve the front diff and xfer case. Hope the seller can offer a clue.

Back