Current update update on the 2008 Tacoma "Ole Blue"

mrproduxn

I put the ole 2008 in the body shop today to repaint the roof (white cloudy clear coat) and the hood (no clear coat remaining with pitted base paint).pitted base paint on hood.jpg rough roof clear coat.jpg
Also gave the shop new drip mouldings and clips to install (no pics)
Received my lean spacer today so 3rd gen suspension goes on soon.
3rd gen suspension.jpg Then once the paint cures I will install my hood lift struts.new hood lift struts .jpg Hoping to gain around 1 inch lift up front to level it.20210927_132302 -resized.jpg
My son told me that the cruise stopped working on the 2012 Tacoma so I guess that one needs a new clock spring now.

Hood and roof now repainted
upload_2022-7-14_16-50-30.jpeg
upload_2022-7-14_16-51-1.jpeg
ps yes I see a little blue paint on the rear glass seal. I will peel it back and get that later with a razor and paint thinner

Last edited:
Sold my 3rd gen set of strut assemblies and shocks, with 27k miles, and bought a brand new set with under 200 miles. Swapped driver side last night, adding a 1/4" lean spacer, and surprised at the amount of lift it gave me. Will do passenger side late today or tomorrow.
tf 2nd to 3rd gen strut comparison.jpg
new level profile:
profile on 3rd gen struts - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
After completing the install, driving around a while to settle, I ended up with both sides at 36-3/8". So 1-3/8" lift gained by swapping to new 2022 Off Road take-offs. The 1/4" driver side spacer made the front equal heights from oem 2008 struts and coils. Started at 34-1/2" driver side and 35" passenger side. Rears will be done sometime later. This pic after 5 days of driving and still at +1-3/8".
20220918_181254 - red Copy.jpg

Last edited:
When you level the truck you must level the seats (cheap-shot advertisement because I throw these in every Tacoma when I buy it).
driv side 2nd gen - resz.jpg
I did do a ceramic wash and wax recently
20230411_180919 -resz.jpg

Nice truck, and a sweet job on the board. I can't see well enough to solder anymore, plus hands shake too much when trying to solder or weld anything. Started back in the early 80s repairing PC's and other computer components.

Nice truck, and a sweet job on the board. I can't see well enough to solder anymore, plus hands shake too much when trying to solder or weld anything. Started back in the early 80s repairing PC's and other computer components.
My biggest issue is not owning a good solder gun and using too thick solder. I have dozens of those resistors so if my rush job failed I would at least use smaller diameter solder next time. For wire soldering I usually can hide my sloppy solder with shrink wrap. Being out of sight I am satisfied to regain the display function.

Back