CV axle throwing grease, possible boot tear... going to need a new one?

JayQQ97

MW surVivor ... clutched. 349k on the 0D0
relatives 2o11 regular cab (65k miles) started making a nasty click on driver side whilst turning left, right now its just an intermittent click does not happen ALL the time

hobbled under the front to check for anything suspect and found a bunch of greasy around the rear LCA bolts near the inboard tulip boot whatever it is

it was not any kind of undercoating that I sprayed because i did not spray around that area its so crusty by those splash shields/skid plates that are going to present a challenge to remove and check further if there is a boot tear or not

questions... is this a common problem on the Gen2 taco?
i checked on a new CV axle at the discounted Toyota dealer and its 353$ :confused: and that is with the 31 per cent discount! or else its pushing 500$ MSRP
there is a boot kit available for much less, under 50$ i think i saw

or might it even be the front diff seal leaking front diff fluid out that shaft
how do you check this fluid where is the check plug at

FWIW. Torn boots are common on any vehicle with power to the front wheels.

Consider. The torn boot is not the cause of the grease. It is not a seal, its purpose is to keep dirt and schmutz out. You most likely have a seal that has failed. The clicking may be an early sign of more extensive damage.

Suggest find the leak source to make repairs sooner than later. The longer you wait the more extensive and expensive the damage becomes.

If it were me, then during the repair I'd replace the boot on the opposite side as a pre-caution.

To check the front diff fluid. You need to remove the upper plug. Stick your finger in the hole. If you can touch the fluid, then its full. Or if a little trickles out when removing the plug.

FWIW. Torn boots are common on any vehicle with power to the front wheels.

Consider. The torn boot is not the cause of the grease. It is not a seal, its purpose is to keep dirt and schmutz out. You most likely have a seal that has failed. The clicking may be an early sign of more extensive damage.

Suggest find the leak source to make repairs sooner than later. The longer you wait the more extensive and expensive the damage becomes.

If it were me, then during the repair I'd replace the boot on the opposite side as a pre-caution.

To check the front diff fluid. You need to remove the upper plug. Stick your finger in the hole. If you can touch the fluid, then its full. Or if a little trickles out when removing the plug.

i was trying to determine the fluid on my fingers, it did not seem very Thick like the CV joint grease is (my corolla had a boot tear last year so i saw what the joint grease is like) so maybe it is front diff fluid coming out from a bad seal where the axle snaps into

do you have to remove the splash shields to get access to the top fill plug?

I'm not 100% sure. I don't remember the splash guard in the way.

I seem to recall the skid plate needs to come off.

Remember, diff fluid is 90W or heavier fluid. Mixed with dirt and schmutz, it could begin to look like grease. Grease is simply a mix of oil and thickeners (aka soaps).

oh great! that skid plate is very rusty with lots of crust flaking off :mad: everytime i stuck my fingers up in there

Simple fix.

Remove the skid plate. Sand it to remove the crust and rust. Get a rattle can of primer and a rattle can of your favorite color. Paint it and reinstall. Done.

Or quit sticking your fingers up in there. :p

Apparently they changed coating technique from gen1 to gen2 on that stock plate
My rig has a few spots that salted slop sat for too long but the whole coating has never peeled off in chunky layers!

This is helpful
But I don't see him taking the skids off or if he had to check it
Why does he have an exhaust part on the driver side ???

Simple fix.

Remove the skid plate. Sand it to remove the crust and rust. Get a rattle can of primer and a rattle can of your favorite color. Paint it and reinstall. Done.

Or quit sticking your fingers up in there. :p
This synthetic 75w/90. Contains a limited slip additive
Do you know if that is ok to put in a 2011 truck?
My truck does not have LSD so I probably need to find nonsynthetic gear oil for it
IDK

I am looking around the interwebs for an answer

Sorry.....I don't know whats needed for your truck

My '06 needed the fluid with the LSD additive. I do believe it was a 75W90 full syn. I wanna say I used Valvoline, but I'm not sure. Its been 2 years since I did the service. I pulled a lot of other service items at during that time.

Check your Owner's Manual. I think it has all the fluid specs listed in the service section.

found more grease thrown out yesterday, all wettish by the in-board boot clamp

You have a seal that is leaking. The purpose of the boot is to keep debris out of the area. When the boot is torn, then schmutz can enter to damage seals and accelerate wear.

Suggest remove the old boot to diagnose which seal is leaking. Then make repairs and replace the torn boot.

Oh dear now more problems popping up!!
Start new topic or continue within here?

Back