Dealer Good Deal for Oil Change Supplies

I found a deal on eBay that I bought a package of 3 filters with drain plug washers for like $15 plus free shipping. They were original toyota filters not counterfeits.

Just received a letter from toyota claiming they haven't seen me in for service since toyotacare ended. In the letter was a gift certificate for a free oil change on my truck. I noted the expiration date is good for a few more weeks, except I don't need an oil change till late fall. :(

Just received a letter from toyota claiming they haven't seen me in for service since toyotacare ended. In the letter was a gift certificate for a free oil change on my truck. I noted the expiration date is good for a few more weeks, except I don't need an oil change till late fall. :(
I will take free oil

Take the coupon into the dealer. Ask for 5 qts and a filter. You'll provide the labor when the oil needs to be changed.

From what I read in the letter, I don't think it works that way. I have to present the letter, and gift certificate along with my truck once I schedule the service appointment. I'm guessing they want to bait me for a list of other services's once I'm in there, like cabin filter, wipers, air filter, etc.

From what I read in the letter, I don't think it works that way. I have to present the letter, and gift certificate along with my truck once I schedule the service appointment. I'm guessing they want to bait me for a list of other services's once I'm in there, like cabin filter, wipers, air filter, etc.
Well.....duh. How do you think they profit from FREE oil change?

Best way to avoid the extra sales push on the A La Cart items is to handle it like drugs. Just Say No. The shop can not legally perform a service without the owner's approval.

Cabin filter is a HUGE RIP OFF. Its a 3 minute change with a $5 filter. Then they will charge $50+. Wipers are next in the Rip Off list.

Well.....duh. How do you think they profit from FREE oil change?

Best way to avoid the extra sales push on the A La Cart items is to handle it like drugs. Just Say No. The shop can not legally perform a service without the owner's approval.

Cabin filter is a HUGE RIP OFF. Its a 3 minute change with a $5 filter. Then they will charge $50+. Wipers are next in the Rip Off list.
It's why I brought this free oil change certificate deal up to being with. I might of taken it, if it was later in the fall, but right now I'm still good. I only use a dealer when I have no choice. If I can't perform the job, I know a very good independent shop that can for quite a bit less than these toyota dealers here.

It's why I brought this free oil change certificate deal up to being with. I might of taken it, if it was later in the fall, but right now I'm still good. I only use a dealer when I have no choice. If I can't perform the job, I know a very good independent shop that can for quite a bit less than these toyota dealers here.
How many miles do ya need before you're not still good?

About 5k miles. I change my oil once a year whether 5k miles or more. I don't drive 25 miles to my shop everyday like I use to, now being retired.

FWIW, if you did a change 1 year ago.....you should consider doing it again.

Short trips will degrade an oil pretty quickly. The oil doesn't get hot enough to boil off any water or dissolve hydrocarbons. All the nasty stuff becomes emulsified in the oil.

$35 for oil change (DIY) or risk big $$$$ engine repair. It is a choice.

FWIW, if you did a change 1 year ago.....you should consider doing it again.

Short trips will degrade an oil pretty quickly. The oil doesn't get hot enough to boil off any water or dissolve hydrocarbons. All the nasty stuff becomes emulsified in the oil.

$35 for oil change (DIY) or risk big $$$$ engine repair. It is a choice.
Changed my oil last November around veterans day. No need to change it any sooner. I did the same with my tundra. Synthetics today aren't your grand pops oil anymore....they don't break down in 5k miles. When I went to England, and Germany a few years ago, oil is expensive. Many let their oil changes go well over 20k...thats kilometers.

Changed my oil last November around veterans day. No need to change it any sooner. I did the same with my tundra. Synthetics today aren't your grand pops oil anymore....they don't break down in 5k miles. When I went to England, and Germany a few years ago, oil is expensive. Many let their oil changes go well over 20k...thats kilometers.
20,000 km = 12,500 miles.

True today's synthetic oils dont break down like the dinosaur based oils. It still remains that short trips do not allow the oil to be hot long enough to boil off all the water and hydrocarbons which have become emulsified.

Your choice.

I'll stay on my oil change interval. 5,000 miles or 1 year, which ever arrives first. I can buy a lot of oil changes for the cost of a major engine repair due to poor OCI.

Last edited:
20,000 km = 12,500 miles.

True today's synthetic oils down break down like the dinosaur based oils. It still remains that short trips do not allow the oil to be hot long enough to boil off all the water and hydrocarbons which have become emulsified.

Your choice.

I'll stay on my oil change interval. 5,000 miles or 1 year, which ever arrives first. I can buy a lot of oil changes for the cost of a major engine repair due to poor OCI.
Imo, short trips would fall into a severe use type schedule. In that case it'd be 5k miles.

Very few drivers are not on the Severe Use service schedule.

Perhaps if I ever purchase an electric vehicle then I'll change to an extended OCI.

Very few drivers are not on the Severe Use service schedule.

Perhaps if I ever purchase an electric vehicle then I'll change to an extended OCI.
Wouldn't that post be in the b.s. of all b.s. thread? At any rate seems everyone wants to be in the severe use schedule. It use to be 7500 mile oil changes with dino oils not more than 20 years ago. Have we gone backwards with todays advance synthetics, and cleaner engines?

Back