End of relationship, beginning of mobile living? Seeking advice

CurtB3D

Hey Taco fam, I'm in a tough position right now. My ex and I recently ended our relationship of 3 years and we live in a house her family owns. I pay pretty cheap rent, but after breaking up it's not a good idea for me to be living here for an extended period of time. I recently bought out my leased 2016 Toyota Tacoma, and I have around $15k saved as well as currently on unemployment. I'm a 3D Artist so I'm able to make income remotely as long as I have internet and a computer. I was hoping somebody here might have some advice for me as far as options of living out of a camper or tow camper. I've been looking at a few options such as the slide-in campers that are available, but I'm also not cutting out tow-based options for this truck.

The truck is a 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road with a crew cab and 7' bed. I do have the tow package, and have towed heavy loads (3000-4000lbs in 8x10' trailer when moving cross country) so I'm not unfamiliar with towing. But what I am unfamiliar with is the mobile lifestyle. I'm trying to watch as many youtube videos and reviews as I possibly can, but I feel like I need some specific advice about this situation.

Has anybody ever lived out of a camper they tow with their Tacoma or maybe lived out of a slide-in/pop up camper? I'm in the suburbs between Boston and Providence, so it would have to work through all seasons including winter and summer. The only necessities I need are internet and a bed to sleep. I'm estimating my budget for purchasing one of these is between $8-$12k...but would go higher if financing were an option.

Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated. I really do!

I don't have any experience doing what you are proposing to do, but there are a lot of people doing it. Two right off the top of my head are Dan Grec (The Road Chose Me) and Chris Shontz (venture4wd). They both use technical careers to maintain their on road lives. I can't post links, but Dan goes into some pretty good detail in his "How do you PAY FOR an overland expedition AROUND THE WORLD?" video. He and Chris also talk about their methods frequently. Hopefully, these will help you with some ideas.

Curt, Mobile living isn't as nice as it used to be, you use to be able to pull over on a piece of land and camp for few nights but nowadays you get runoff. I recently drove up to Wyoming and "tent" camped for about a week but I stayed at campsites and they run about $40 a night but it clean, safe and legal and it got cold as hell at night. Personally I would rather live in a cave with rags on my back and have to hunt to eat than live with a woman in the 21st-century! The biggest mistake ever in 58 years of my life is getting married. It seems I always have more money when I don't have a woman in my life, I appreciate them for about 30 minutes and leave your shoes on because you're not staying that long.

Sounds like your life is upside down, been there,,done that (Twice),,keep a clear head,dig deep into your soul and figure it out..There are a lot of great caring people here if you need to vent, we can listen if that helps you get through your difficult time..
Curt,,,I hope your days get brighter .;):cool:

Good luck Curt b3d on ur adventure i would head where it is warmer than up here in New England i live on the Cape and do carpentry .i hate the cold 1 more year i can retire .i wish u luck my friend .there is an adventure out there for u .

Yeah, not very warm this morning here in southern new england when i looked at my outdoor thermometer reading 14 degrees. Feels like the dead of winter. There was even a fresh coat of snow on the grass.

Back