Engine or transmission whine?

joe77

Hello everyone,,

I have a 98 Tacoma 4x4 2.7L automatic xtra cab, 130,000 miles

It's making a whining noise I can't figure out. Been thru the idler pulleys, water pump, etc. and its none of those. It's slowly getting worse.

Driving about 35 it's clearly there. In neutral, it is gone. Today I was cruising at 35-40, let off the gas, shifted to neutral, and reved up the engine a bit. No whine in neutral at 35. Shift back into drive, there it is again.

The pitch of the whine depends on engine speed, not vehicle speed. It's the same at 20 or 60, depending on engine speed. Can't hear it much at 60 cause of road noise. The pitch clearly goes up and down with engine shifting.

So, I'm guessing trans or torque converter bearings. Trans fluid is at level and clean, changed regularly. Transmission rebuild at 80,000 miles- they did not replace the main bearings in the trans, just a kit with plates etc, and I don't think they touched the torque converter, not sure.

One thing I read suggested faulty trans fluid pump. I doubt the filter is so clogged as to restrict the pump, but I suppose this is possible.

Thoughts????

Back