Exclamation point triangle

Its a bottle.......

What is the API grade?
What API grade does your truck need?

Current API grade for gasoline engines, since 5/2020, is SP. This is most likely on the shelf at any place selling motor oil.

Other API grades on the shelf (maybe) are SJ, SL, SM and SN. These "designations" increase alphabetically.
SJ is for 2001 and older
SL is for 2004 and older
SM is for 2010 and older
SN is for 2020 and older

Meaning, JayQQ97, any oil you buy with an API grade equal or better than SJ.....you're good.

Beyond the API grade, you can begin discussing the "Additive Package" blended into the different brands. Although, the discussion is likely to hinge on Marketing Boast Claims. Of course, brand X is always better than brand Y. or brand Y is better than brand X......all depending on who is doing the squawking or talking.......
I've seen some of the testing done on synthetics like mobil 1 extended performance. You can't do a whole lot better. It showed no wear issues after 250k miles doing 10K mile oil changes.

I'm not championing any brand of oil or filter. I'm only stating the API designation as defined in the Op Manual will satisfy all the requirements for the engine.

Lets not step into a descending spiral debate about which oil or filter is best. Leave that to the TW people.

I've seen some of the testing done on synthetics like mobil 1 extended performance. You can't do a whole lot better. It showed no wear issues after 250k miles doing 10K mile oil changes.
how many decades of using that test?

some put only 5k on per year which would take the test to 50 years
change oil every 2 years

The test was likely simulated in an engine attached to a dynamometer to simulate the mileage.

The results in your engine, your driving and your maintenance may lead to different outcomes.

Marketing claims only need to be supported by test results. Note, it doesn't mean every engine........only 1 engine in a repeatable test is required to support a market claim.

View all marketing claims with a thick pair of rose colored glasses.

how many decades of using that test?

some put only 5k on per year which would take the test to 50 years
change oil every 2 years
This was continuous with fleet vehicles like taxi's till 250k miles was reached while doing 10k mile oil changes on them. The engines were disassembled after, checked for wear, and cleanliness which showed still like new.

Back