Extra keys for a 2022 SR-5

DeadOn

Hey Now

I joined a couple weeks ago and have been doing some searching and reading. I bought rail steps, window gaurds, floor mats, seat covers, taunno cover and... keys. I need to have extra keys for our new Tacoma made. So I did what I did for my Wranglers. I bought 2 blank valet keys and 2 blank fob keys.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011RZ139S?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I've had them cut already. I need to program them. I did find a video and a website with written directions explaining how to do this myself.

https://www.wesleychapeltoyota.com/service/toyota-key-fob-programming/

f you’ve recently purchased a new Toyota, or a Toyota key replacement or duplicate, you’ll need to perform the Toyota key fob programming to get it properly synced to your vehicle. Here are the steps for a successful Toyota key fob programming that you can do right in your Tampa driveway:

1. Get into the driver’s seat of your Toyota. Ensure all the doors are closed.
  2. Turn your key in the ignition from “off” to “on.”
  3. Turn your key in the ignition from “off” to “on again within five seconds.
  4. Remove your key from the ignition.
  5. Within 40 seconds, close and open the driver’s door twice.
  6. Insert and remove the key from the ignition one more time.
  7. So long as you’ve done this within 40 seconds, your door locks should engage to indicate a successful Toyota key fob programming!
So I tried the valet key first. Prior to my attempt the key would only unlock the doors manually. It would not even start the engine. After my attempt (which I probably messed up) it would start the vehicle but the truck would shut off in 2 seconds. Based on my past experience programing many Jeep keys I'm fairly certain I messed it up... or the key is bunk from the start. At the end of the programming sequence the light on the dash indicated the programing had not completed??? I still have three like this for my Wrangler.

Through my searching I am aware of TomsKeys.com for programing. But I already have 4 cut keys. So I was wondering if there are instructions or a thread to do this myself, easily.

Thanks!

I had an extra non chip key made for my 2018 SR5.

I carry it in my wallet in case I ever locked the keys in the truck. It's good for surfing and beach activities too.

Can only use it to lock or unlock the doors and tailgate.

Back