Factory Hard Tri-fold tonneau cover

I had mine installed at the port (San Diego) vs. the dealer to avoid the labor charges. I've had it off a half dozen times and there's nothing special to the install. Drilling and installing two threaded inserts in the center of the front bed rail for a support post is about it. Don't see why they can't deliver or sell as an aftermarket item.

Bought and installed from Toyota. Preordered but NOT installed at the dealer. Otherwise you have to pay the dealer parts dept. hourly rate. My point was there's nothing to it. Very simple. I've seen a couple for sale already online. Guessing owners didn't want them. For kicks I'll check my dealer to see if it's the same answer.

Taco Rick is correct. You cannot order the factory cover except from Toyota when ordering your vehicle or if it already had one it. It is not available to order at any time as an after-the -fact accessory. According to Toyota anyway.

16' TRD Off Road DCLB Inferno

I contacted Toyota Corp. About this the sales guy sold to me and when I went to pick it up they put on an aftermarket tonneau cover. They told me it is what it is. I'm not a happy camper.
ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1471840758.642537.jpgImageUploadedByTaco Forum1471840736.477375.jpg

Just took the OEM cover off of mine. My impression of the factory cover is, buy a aftermarket. This had to be forced onto Toyota for fuel millage or something. This is the first accessory from my years of having Toyota's that has been total junk. This could not have been a complete plan from Toyota. It cannot be installed by anyone but the factory. The plastic covers on the bed rails look like its been cut by hand, it was not manufactured that way, nor were the cuts square. The metal rails underneath have threads tapped in that had welding splatter on it.

I received a refund from the dealership for the cost of the cover and bought an Undercover. The cost for the Toyota accessory is only $650. Try to find a aftermarket for that price, you cannot. I think even Toyota accountants could accept charging anymore for it either. I Love the Undercover, will recommend it to anyone.

I contacted Toyota Corp. About this the sales guy sold to me and when I went to pick it up they put on an aftermarket tonneau cover. They told me it is what it is. I'm not a happy camper.
View attachment 9764View attachment 9763
I like the look of your aftermarket being flush much better than my Toyo factory cover sitting on the bed rails. I'm curious where the rain water goes though. Mine barely leaks. I'll bet it was a few more Benji's.

My 2016 Tacoma did not come with a factory Tonneau cover. I found a factory cover on Craigslist, and have a completely different opinion. The rails that are where mentioned in comments above with the cutouts are very minor and not noticeable. I've owed a couple different Tonneau covers in the past on different Tacoma's and I love this factory cover Toyota has designed. I use this cover everyday for work and I have zero issues with it. It keeps all my tools locked up and dry. I open and close it several times a day for the last 6 months and never had a problem. It's well built and still light enough to remove by myself. My only improvement that I would make, would to hide the plastic cap that sits on the top of cover near the the front right corner, to something more incognito. I recommend this cover to anyone that needs a tonneau cover for there truck. Oh, did I mention I paid $250 from the guy selling it on Craigslist. Be prepared to search Craigslist constantly, because they go Fast!

I was told by my dealer that it's only available as a factory add on.
Its a dealer add on only. DO GET ONE!! It's the worse cover I ever owned. it's a pain to remove and it's heavy. Also my leaks water overtime I washed my truck or rain. Told the dealer and was told that's how it is. It was design for improve MPG only . NOT WHAT I WANT TO HEAR FOR A $800 COVER.

I ordered the Toyota OEM Tonneau Cover as an added option when I specified my new truck. So far, no complains: It seems well made, sturdy, fair priced (mine was charged as 650$), comes with original warranty and was financed with the vehicle, and I don't have the hassle to deal with third party installation, warranty and truck's modifications. Mine doesn't appear to have any leaks, and keeps my load secure and dry. Also, I must note that I added the OEM bed rubber mat so the load is kept in place and any possible water runoff should be below the mat. It works for me, although I know that there are very good third party tonneau covers in the market for a similar price, but I prefer the OEM as I like to keep all my vehicles as "stock" as possible as I realized that later when it's time to trade in, it has better resale value, but this is just my opinion.

Just took the OEM cover off of mine. My impression of the factory cover is, buy a aftermarket. This had to be forced onto Toyota for fuel millage or something. This is the first accessory from my years of having Toyota's that has been total junk. This could not have been a complete plan from Toyota. It cannot be installed by anyone but the factory. The plastic covers on the bed rails look like its been cut by hand, it was not manufactured that way, nor were the cuts square. The metal rails underneath have threads tapped in that had welding splatter on it.

I received a refund from the dealership for the cost of the cover and bought an Undercover. The cost for the Toyota accessory is only $650. Try to find a aftermarket for that price, you cannot. I think even Toyota accountants could accept charging anymore for it either. I Love the Undercover, will recommend it to anyone.
X2! My dealer told me the factory ones leaked and payed for and installed my Undercover as part of the negotiated purchase deal. Love this lid.Verizon%20Content%20Transfer.jpeg

I bought the undercover flex for my 2016 nice cover no problems yet,it is a little pricey but worth it

Back