Factory Tri-fold Tonneau Cover damage... help?

2020taco4x4

Hey everyone, I am the proud owner of a 2020 Tacoma 4x4 with the Premium Sport Upgrade package in July
I bought the tri-fold hard tonneau from the dealer for $1500 bucks.

Anyways, I was driving to the mountain biking place and a gust of wind slammed the back third of the cover down on the handlebar of my bike, which smashed through the hard plastic and left a huge hole.

Super embarrassing. Dealer parts guy was like, that is not a warranty issue (even though I didn't tell him the specifics of the accident) and he consulted with Toyota about replacing the back 1/3 of the tonneau... apparently that isn't possible.

My question is has anyone else had something break through the cover? If so, did it get covered by warranty? Is there a possible fix for it like plastic welding?

I should also mention that i took it to an after market truck upgrade place and they seemed to think that the cover was not plastic, but resin or fibreglass, so maybe a body shop could repair it?

I really don't want to drop another $1500 plus tax on a factory one, or even $1000 on an aftermarket one.

That sucks !Can u post a picture of it so I can look at it ? And I think u should check another dealer everything has a part number .I had the trifold factory on my 16 sport long bed and the gaskets were opening up between panels and no warranty but I could get parts and they printed out a whole parts diagram for me .and I believe it showed panels separate .I sold it and bought a one piece lid . I think dealer is bullshating u check online .for factory Toyota parts .short or long bed?

Last edited:
If you decide to get a replacement DO NOT get a BAKFLIP. I have had delamination issues with a G2 since I bought it, and can’t even get “customer support” to respond to me. Just a heads up on who to avoid.

Wow..1500 was a screaming high price. Try this...works for me.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QH7VKCP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_QjNwFbEG81ETJ

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
9dce78388cc0db1d96704b07e6eb18b4.jpg

Last edited:
What did you end up doing to replace it? This just happened to me this morning and I'm trying to figure out how to fix it without buying a whole new cover.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 9.32.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 9.32.38 AM.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 6
If u go to Toyota dealer or look for part schematic exploded view , you can get single parts so u should be able to get that section and change it out.

Hey everyone, I am the proud owner of a 2020 Tacoma 4x4 with the Premium Sport Upgrade package in July
I bought the tri-fold hard tonneau from the dealer for $1500 bucks.

Anyways, I was driving to the mountain biking place and a gust of wind slammed the back third of the cover down on the handlebar of my bike, which smashed through the hard plastic and left a huge hole.

Super embarrassing. Dealer parts guy was like, that is not a warranty issue (even though I didn't tell him the specifics of the accident) and he consulted with Toyota about replacing the back 1/3 of the tonneau... apparently that isn't possible.

My question is has anyone else had something break through the cover? If so, did it get covered by warranty? Is there a possible fix for it like plastic welding?

I should also mention that i took it to an after market truck upgrade place and they seemed to think that the cover was not plastic, but resin or fibreglass, so maybe a body shop could repair it?

I really don't want to drop another $1500 plus tax on a factory one, or even $1000 on an aftermarket one.
I have the same factory tri fold cover on my 2020 tacoma...i ordered it with the truck, and the technology package. They charged me a little over $700 for the cover. Its been perfect still like new. Dealer suppiled me with a bottle of wolfsteins tonneau when i picked up the truck. I've been buying it since to treat the cover every 4 months or so.
Those covers are pretty tough being able to stand on mine a few times. Hard to believe yours has issues like that.

Looked like a handle bar from a bike poked it just right. Mine was 875 leaked like a sive at the seams. Even says in my 2016 owners manual if u store something under the bed cover of value make sure it has a waterproof cover on it because the tri-fold cover may leak? WTF. I sold it for 250 and bought a fiberglass trunk lid from ARE. never looked back!

Cover looks just plain beat from poor care. Has it ever been treated with a protectant that prevent's ultraviolet sun rays from destroying the exterior?

That's a hit for a factory cover 1500 bucks ,the build sheet on mine from 2016 was $875 .00 for an elongated bed .
I've got a 6' bed on my 2020 access cab. I wasn't charged over $750 for mine, and its the real tacoma cover, not an aftermarket. $1500 something isn't right.

Back