first generation frame issues

i hosed the salt and winter slop out of the wheelhouses regularly during winters to protect the body panels from rott like they did in those old days
nobody told me about ANYTHING about underneath it all, just the rubbery dealer undercoating is all the truck had!
These trucks never came from toyota with any sort of an undercoating, especially a rubbery one.

These trucks never came from toyota with any sort of an undercoating, especially a rubbery one.

i pay extra for the dealer i bot the truck from to undercoat it / weatherproof it
they undercoated half the frame, under the cab and under the bed with a rubbery spray

i pay extra for the dealer i bot the truck from to undercoat it / weatherproof it
they undercoated half the frame, under the cab and under the bed with a rubbery spray
Well that was something the dealer was asked to do. Toyota does not supply their trucks with a coating on their frames.
As far as the coating itself, any rubberized coating can go very bad, once the coating cracks. It's not self healing. Once it cracks, or chips, water, and moisture gets between the steel, and the coating causing the frame to rust through. I've seen this happen on a chevy a friend had...it becomes unrepairable. There was rot underneath everywhere that had this coating.

Well that was something the dealer was asked to do. Toyota does not supply their trucks with a coating on their frames.
As far as the coating itself, any rubberized coating can go very bad, once the coating cracks. It's not self healing. Once it cracks, or chips, water, and moisture gets between the steel, and the coating causing the frame to rust through. I've seen this happen on a chevy a friend had...it becomes unrepairable. There was rot underneath everywhere that had this coating.
I'm glad my trucks coating fell off when it did in the undercarriage washer
Small scars found by the cat but not too bad

Back