First time Tacoma owner

Bought my first Taco also...2023 TRD Sport (only because it would take months for my local dealer to get an Off Road)...mine is in Magnetic Gray as well.
I got lucky. I’ve been looking at them for over a year. The only one I got to test drive was an SR5. It was ok but the TRD off-road was the one I wanted in the magnetic gray. I went to this particular dealer before Christmas and was ready to order one. They wanted to charge me $5000 market adjustment. I left with no truck. They text me the next day and agreed no market adjustment. I told them no thanks. A couple weeks ago on their website it looked like this one was on the lot. I called and it was. Went up there on a Friday eve test drove it, loved the way it felt, much better than SR5 in my opinion. No market adjustment, MSRP which I guess isn’t horrible with the way auto sales are. It’s fully loaded, which I could’ve done without, but I do love the leather and the sound system.

Imo, no one in their right mind should pay over msrp let along msrp. I'd be looking at other manufactures trucks if Toyota dealers pulled that crap. I don't know how the market is now since I bought my taco in 2020, but I was able to order my sr5 with some tech packages out of Texas for 2k under msrp plus get their $1500 rebate offer at the time. I could have bought them off the lot for even more under msrp if they had what I wanted.

Imo, no one in their right mind should pay over msrp let along msrp. I'd be looking at other manufactures trucks if Toyota dealers pulled that crap. I don't know how the market is now since I bought my taco in 2020, but I was able to order my sr5 with some tech packages out of Texas for 2k under msrp plus get their $1500 rebate offer at the time. I could have bought them off the lot for even more under msrp if they had what I wanted.
Every Toyota dealer in this area is charging $5000 for the TRD off-road and $7500!!! for the TRD Pro. And both have to be ordered. I think someone ordered the one I got and their Liam wasn’t approved or they changed their mind.

Glad you are happy with the truck. I'm sure the dealer is giggling all the way to the bank. Maximized their profit at MSRP and they get $$$ kickbacks from Toyota for everything they sell. Salesman got a plump commission.

Dealers have many incentives from the manufacturers. Be aware.

Me, I would've walked away at any price over MSRP or at MSRP. What is my incentive to buy that manufacturer's truck? Many others similar on the market.

I hope you didn't finance that through the dealer or any dealer add-ons.

My truck was on the dealer lot (used) in 2020 stickered at $17,500. During the negotiations, I offered $15,000, knowing the KBB value was in the $14 range. They came back with $15,300. I agreed. Then they asked me to finance. I paid cash. Next the pitch during the paperwork transfer. They offered warranty (14 yo truck), paint protection.........I stopped them with a question, "Do I get a better truck if I buy these additional things? Its 14 years old with 105,xxx miles." She smiled to say, "I have to offer these features."

The point to this tale is to understand a dealer will not sell anything without making a profit.

Last edited:
Glad you are happy with the truck. I'm sure the dealer is giggling all the way to the bank. Maximized their profit at MSRP and they get $$$ kickbacks from Toyota for everything they sell. Salesman got a plump commission.

Dealers have many incentives from the manufacturers. Be aware.

Me, I would've walked away at any price over MSRP or at MSRP. What is my incentive to buy that manufacturer's truck? Many others similar on the market.

I hope you didn't finance that through the dealer or any dealer add-ons.

My truck was on the dealer lot (used) in 2020 stickered at $17,500. During the negotiations, I offered $15,000, knowing the KBB value was in the $14 range. They came back with $15,300. I agreed. Then they asked me to finance. I paid cash. Next the pitch during the paperwork transfer. They offered warranty (14 yo truck), paint protection.........I stopped them with a question, "Do I get a better truck if I buy these additional things? Its 14 years old with 105,xxx miles." She smiled to say, "I have to offer these features."

The point to this tale is to understand a dealer will not sell anything without making a profit.
I’m sure they made a pretty good profit of your sale. Glad you’re happy with that purchase. I’m not too sure I’m paying $15,000 for a14 year old truck. But if someone wants to buy my truck for $15,000 in 14 years that would be great!

Yeah. I know. Although, every truck I looked at was in that price range. I wanted lower mileage, but those were outside of my budget.

I'm sure they made a profit off the sale of my truck. Otherwise, the dealer would not have sold it to me. The dealer probably got it as a Trade In for less than $10,000 credit on the next sale.

Paying sticker or over sticker is not a bargain for the buyer.

I'm not saying you did wrong. I am saying you likely over paid and there are techniques to save some coin.

Last edited:
Yeah. I know. Although, every truck I looked at was in that price range. I wanted lower mileage, but those were outside of my budget.

I'm sure they made a profit off the sale of my truck. Otherwise, the dealer would not have sold it to me.
I guess nobody is in business to lose money that’s for sure.

Every Toyota dealer in this area is charging $5000 for the TRD off-road and $7500!!! for the TRD Pro. And both have to be ordered. I think someone ordered the one I got and their Liam wasn’t approved or they changed their mind.
I can't imagine anyone being dumb enough to pay that. I would think dealers gotta be laughing their ass off when a buyer would. They're going to keep charging as much as they can get till buyers wise up, and no longer will pay that. I'm old school when it comes to buying a vehicle. I walk, no run as fast as I could if a dealer pulled that on me.

Back