Frame rot

Brendan

So, I just spent the past three hours reading about, watching videos on, and hearing people btch to high hell about "frame rot"... I own a new 13' tacoma, first toyota ever... Stuffs starting to freak me out a bit... Should I be worried? Is there stuff I can do now while its only 4 months out of the assembly line to avoid it?

Some of the older tacos (first gens) didn't get a good coating of anti corrosion spray, I don't think there are any problems with the 2nd gens. I know Byrd had a first gen rot out from under him.

I have an 08 taco with 100k on it and my frame definitely has rust on it, nothing like what the 1st gens had. Nonetheless I am keeping my eye on it for sure.

I have an 08 taco with 100k on it and my frame definitely has rust on it, nothing like what the 1st gens had. Nonetheless I am keeping my eye on it for sure.

Just recoat the rusty spots. Eastwood makes some nice rust inhibitor... But wear a respirator its nasty stuff.

Hey all. New to the forum and wanted to share my frame rot story: 2001 dbl cab. Last year, i received a recall notice regarding frame rot, so i took it to my local dealer. They determined that my frame was so rotted out that they would replace it instead of buying the trk back for 1 1/2 times kelley blue book for a trk in "excellent" condition. I like to think my trk is in excellent cond, but really its not. So 3 days later, i picked up my trk: new frame, new rear leafs, new lower control arms, new brake and fuel lines. Not bad. Now i have a 2001 with an almost brand new undercarriage and it took only 3 days. So if any of you out there have frame rot contact your dealer

The '95~00 models were bought back. The '01~04 models got the frame replaced.

Also it was never a recall, it was a letter sent out that extended the frame warranty to 15 yrs in case of perforation. The letter got you a free frame inspection at Toyota and if they decided it was unsafe to drive you got a loaner and a offer, then a check 3 weeks later or a new frame. You had no choice in the matter you took what was offered money wise or you got a new frame.

I was quite pleased with the offer I got for my PreRunner. Made a nice profit and then bought my current Taco.

Last edited:
If you are scared you can always have your frame treated yourself.

Please tell me "what" you would treat it with, I can't find a company that will guarantee there treatment for more than a couple years if that! Even if professionally applied for some dam big bucks $$$$$.
Not trying to be disrespectful but it's darn time the "Ostrich" guys quit sticking there heads in the sand. This is a BIG REAL problem Gen 1 & 2.

Sorry if I have offended anyone because I am looking for a 1st gen myself and unless we all ban together and raise some Hell, nothing will get done!:sad:

Last edited:
Please tell me "what" you would treat it with, I can't find a company that will guarantee there treatment for more than a couple years if that! Even if professionally applied for some dam big bucks $$$$$.
Not trying to be disrespectful but it's darn time the "Ostrich" guys quit sticking there heads in the sand. This is a BIG REAL problem Gen 1 & 2.

Sorry if I have offended anyone because I am looking for a 1st gen myself and unless we all ban together and raise some Hell, nothing will get done!:sad:

Changeling, your best bet for a 1st gen is to buy one that has never left the southwest desert area. Toyota farmed out the frames to the Dana Corporation to have them treated with corrosion preventative and they failed big time, enough so that Toyota sued them and won big bucks. $25 mil I believe. Any area that doesn't use road salt would be your best bet for a good 1st gen. If the frame is good then spray it down with oil every few years to keep it that way. Motor oil will keep it from rusting. Environmentalist will hate you though for doing it.

Changeling, your best bet for a 1st gen is to buy one that has never left the southwest desert area. Toyota farmed out the frames to the Dana Corporation to have them treated with corrosion preventative and they failed big time, enough so that Toyota sued them and won big bucks. $25 mil I believe. Any area that doesn't use road salt would be your best bet for a good 1st gen. If the frame is good then spray it down with oil every few years to keep it that way. Motor oil will keep it from rusting. Environmentalist will hate you though for doing it.

BYRD, is oil going to actually prevent/stop the rust on a frame for a couple of years when engineers can't come up with a solution, (I understand Hot dipping galvanize works) but the auto makers are reluctant to use it because it cuts into profit, and creates no reason for the consumer to buy NEW!
However they used to advertise big time that it was done to some manufactures frames! The videos were even televised on TV.

I've heard this solution/work around (Oil) but have never heard any factual information on it. Can you supply a factual link that has a basis of fact about it, I would really appreciate it.
Thank you for the comeback.

BYRD, is oil going to actually prevent/stop the rust on a frame for a couple of years when engineers can't come up with a solution, (I understand Hot dipping galvanize works) but the auto makers are reluctant to use it because it cuts into profit, and creates no reason for the consumer to buy NEW!
However they used to advertise big time that it was done to some manufactures frames! The videos were even televised on TV.

I've heard this solution/work around (Oil) but have never heard any factual information on it. Can you supply a factual link that has a basis of fact about it, I would really appreciate it.
Thank you for the comeback.

It sure will, all kinds of oil will. A few links. All I did was google 'oil as rust prevention' and it gave me a huge amount of links to all kinds of oil based products.
Oil prevents rusting, because it naturally resists water by its very nature. Rusting occurs when oxygen molecules in water interact with the metal to form iron oxide, commonly known as rust.

However you do need to reapply every so often as oil will break down. I plan on doing my frame, 1st I'll remove what surface rust I can find and repaint then in a spray bottle I'll use my old motor oil and spray the frame so not to have a dripping mess.
On my Chevelle I had sprung a leak of gear oil from my tranny and where that oil is underneath the car there is no rust to this day. My Chevelle is a '70. This was about 1980ish when that happened and after time I realized the oil prevented rust. Being thick 80 weight gear oil it clung on forever where it sprayed. Motor oil's have rust inhibitors in it. Reason the inside of your engine doesn't rust unless you leave it sit for a long period of time. If you plan on leaving your vehicle in storage for a long time they recommend you fill it with oil. I mean totally fill it.

http://www.exxonmobil.com/lubes/exxonmobil/emal/files/RustPrevention_TTopic.pdf

http://www.ardisonsoils.com/ardisonsoils/7/rust-preventive-oil/products/

http://www.nynas.com/en/Segment/Other-process-oils/Knowledge-Tank/White-papers/Naphthenic-oils-are-ideal-for-rust-preventive-agents/

http://www.sonneborn.com/products/north-america-latin-america-asia-pacific/visconorust-corrosion-inhibitor

I live in Northern Ontario Canada and we run on salt roads 6 months of the year! I've had 2 Toyota trucks (83-91 and my 12). My 2 previous trucks lasted forever just the boxes fell off em at the old infamous seam they once had.
Of course that's with the trucks being oil guarded or sprayed every so many years. We have vehicles sprayed like you guys in the south have car washes lol, in fact when I bought mine for a small fee I took the spray and electronic rust deterrent offering to enhance my warranty.

It sure will, all kinds of oil will. A few links. All I did was google 'oil as rust prevention' and it gave me a huge amount of links to all kinds of oil based products.
Oil prevents rusting, because it naturally resists water by its very nature. Rusting occurs when oxygen molecules in water interact with the metal to form iron oxide, commonly known as rust.

However you do need to reapply every so often as oil will break down. I plan on doing my frame, 1st I'll remove what surface rust I can find and repaint then in a spray bottle I'll use my old motor oil and spray the frame so not to have a dripping mess.
On my Chevelle I had sprung a leak of gear oil from my tranny and where that oil is underneath the car there is no rust to this day. My Chevelle is a '70. This was about 1980ish when that happened and after time I realized the oil prevented rust. Being thick 80 weight gear oil it clung on forever where it sprayed. Motor oil's have rust inhibitors in it. Reason the inside of your engine doesn't rust unless you leave it sit for a long period of time. If you plan on leaving your vehicle in storage for a long time they recommend you fill it with oil. I mean totally fill it.

http://www.exxonmobil.com/lubes/exxonmobil/emal/files/RustPrevention_TTopic.pdf

http://www.ardisonsoils.com/ardisonsoils/7/rust-preventive-oil/products/

http://www.nynas.com/en/Segment/Oth...ic-oils-are-ideal-for-rust-preventive-agents/

http://www.sonneborn.com/products/n...-asia-pacific/visconorust-corrosion-inhibitor

Hi Byrd and Rocking Rog, this is some good news, thanks guys.

How often do you have to spray the frame and what is considered the best oil.

I have an 01 I got about 6 months ago can I take it to toyota for them to inspect the frame or can u have them do it if u got a letter?

Hi Byrd and Rocking Rog, this is some good news, thanks guys.

How often do you have to spray the frame and what is considered the best oil.

Couldn't tell you which is best or how often. I would say the thicker oil would last longer over a thinner one. As I stated above I plan on using my old engine oil since it has rust inhibitors in it already and also it will have small metal shavings and gas by-products which also repel water. I would say check it once a year mid summer and spray in fall, Sept, Oct before the snow falls and salt flies. You may have to do it twice a yr. but it won't cost since I'm using used oil I already paid for.

I have an 01 I got about 6 months ago can I take it to toyota for them to inspect the frame or can u have them do it if u got a letter?

Hard to say if they would cover it. If you have a letter they should honor it. Call and ask. If they will, be prepared for them to take it when you have them inspect. Meaning you won't see it again if they keep it and say it's not safe to drive. I took everything out of mine the day before I took it in. Just in case....glad I did. I had to ask to get my tags back so I could transfer them to my new truck. They wouldn't let me near it once they said it was unsafe and they were buying it back. So take anything you want to keep off it, or kiss it goodbye if they declare it unsafe. Unless they offer you a new frame, at least your butt is covered either way. You can always put your stuff back on when you get it back.

Hi byrd. It has been a pleasure talking with you and taken a big load off. I just really don't want anything other than a 1st gen Tacoma so I have renewed my efforts in finding what I want. May sound crazy to some, but to me it is a perfectly sound decision.

I'll research this some more, if I come up with anything that sounds "interesting" I'll give you a yell.
Thank you very much for your help, it is very much appreciated.

Your welcome Changeling!
Hope it helps, a good paint job on a frame and moderate use of oil should prevent rust from occurring, but you should stay on top of it with at least a yearly inspection and also full undercarriage washings to wash any salt off from wintertime. Anything that will protect bare metal from the elements is a plus.

Good luck on your search for a 1st gen, they are out there with good frames, may be hard to find. I see many still on the road here, however I have no clue what condition their frames are in.

I know my '06 has some small amounts of surface rust in places on the frame which I plan on sanding down, painting and then a light spray of used oil when I take my 2 weeks vacation in Oct. I'll check it again come spring and see how she held up.

Yeah, keep me posted if you turn anything up on rust prevention that we haven't discussed. Always open to anything that has promise to extend the life of my Taco. I already experienced one Taco's frame wasting away (my 1st gen), got lucky with the buyback from Toyota, don't want another Taco going that route. As it is there is no buyback/frame replacement offered on the 2nd gen as of the date.

Hi byrd, I'm not sure why but somewhere in the back of my mind painting the frame is not a good idea. I just can't remember where I got this information and why.

It was something about the paint causing a problem with rust! Up front the paint sounds like a good idea, I just wish I could remember.

Back