Garage that knows 98 SR5 very WELL?

nancyh1990

I was given this truck from my uncle. It is sentimental. When we got it, the engine was out. Purchased new engine and had it installed.
Several wires are not connected. Truck is not running well. Codes are coming up.
Need to take it to a garage that knows this truck well or have another 98 SR5 sitting around so they can find out where several of these wires go.
Can you recommend?

Thanks so much for your help.

Still am Looking for competent shop that knows 97 sr5 more than well
Such a struggle, it truly is :confused:

I can tell you there are 2 toyota dealers within 30 miles of me that are more than competent enough to tell you everything your truck needs repairing on. Just be sure you have deep enough pockets, and the will to take their advice.

About how much you talking?

Yota shops around here are incompetent tards!

A estimate will probably run over a c note.
they be well suited to pay ME that c note to take a gander considering all the rusted + roached underbodies i bet they have dealt with over time

I don't think it works that way...lol When I ran my shop I had a sign in the service area...$5 for right answers....wrong answers are free.

Last edited:
Well, when I had my truck at toyotacare here, all the tech's were much older than that. They had a sign out front looking for tech's with 2 year minimum experience.

Please not their sign said "techs". In other words mere parts changers that unless provided with an error code have no idea on how to trouble shoot.

yes, the service writer advisor guy told me they had recently changed the vernacular from mechanics to technicians in the back garage

Last edited:
Please not their sign said "techs". In other words mere parts changers that unless provided with an error code have no idea on how to trouble shoot.
I'll agree many of these guys are parts changers now, only going by complaints in their data base. The guys here where my truck was serviced had guys near retirement age, all being ASE certified. I think you could actually call them techs, probably why they have the highest labor rates in the area.

I can tell you there are 2 toyota dealers within 30 miles of me that are more than competent enough to tell you everything your truck needs repairing on. Just be sure you have deep enough pockets, and the will to take their advice.

you got some names of these places so i can do some DD

Torrington Toyota of Torrington, ct.
Dowling toyota of Litchfield, ct.

what is the deal with this here
they do not service Yota's that have more than 100k miles?

Service​

By bringing your Toyota vehicle to Dowling Toyota of Litchfield for all your service and repair needs, from regularly scheduled appointments to major repairs, you can count on a continued driving experience unlike any other - for every single mile of your lease or ownership.

Award Winning Service​

We made your Toyota the superior vehicle it is today and we want to ensure it remains that way - whether it's taken you 10,000 miles or 100,000 miles. That's why Dowling Toyota of Litchfield offers Toyota service and repair, so you have access to the latest specialized technology and precise analysis from Toyota trained technicians who undergo regular, frequent training so they're always up-to-date on every component of your vehicle.

what is the deal with this here
they do not service Yota's that have more than 100k miles?

Service​

By bringing your Toyota vehicle to Dowling Toyota of Litchfield for all your service and repair needs, from regularly scheduled appointments to major repairs, you can count on a continued driving experience unlike any other - for every single mile of your lease or ownership.

Award Winning Service​

We made your Toyota the superior vehicle it is today and we want to ensure it remains that way - whether it's taken you 10,000 miles or 100,000 miles. That's why Dowling Toyota of Litchfield offers Toyota service and repair, so you have access to the latest specialized technology and precise analysis from Toyota trained technicians who undergo regular, frequent training so they're always up-to-date on every component of your vehicle.

They service any high mileage vehicle....thats just an ad they display. Surely you didn't take it that they meant it. Dowling services our prius. Their labor rate imo, is more fair, plus it's a family run dealership. The owners son is one hell of a good tech.
As far as their charges for different services...I don't work there, so I can't be much help in that area....you gotta ask them.

Back