Good Morning All

Rock62

Just a short intro.

I'm a semi-retired Engineer. My last stint was 6 years in China mainland with a major power tool company as a manager in the test lab. Returned to the States just before Covid landed.

My '06 Tacoma Access was purchased in Feb '20 with 105,000 miles. I did all the 100k service and replaced valve cover gaskets and plugs. The 5 spoke aluminum wheels were heavily corroded. Purchased a replacement set to refurb. I stripped and painted them a dark grey gunmetal using Sherwin-Williams Auto product from the 2K line. These wheels look great (IMHO) on the white truck. Seems like everyone does black. Replaced all 5 U-joints. Replaced the tired OEM 6 speakers with Pioneer component upfront and Kenwood 3-way in the rear. Now, just waiting on budget to replace the OEM CD head unit.

I have a question about the options for drive control systems. I will post the question in the 2nd section. Doesn't make sense to post the question in the intro section.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Welcome.

Another part of my mechanic excursions is in my Avatar. In 2011, I purchased a 1981 Honda CX500C. It was a wrecked non-running bike. The accident was the bike was rear-ended and went down on the left side against a curb. The left side and rear were heavily damaged. Many days and hours hunting parts just to get tn to start and idle. Then the real repairs began. Mostly electrical issues. Water pump problems, a few engine oil leaks, clutch slip. Once all was running and behaving, then it was time to disassemble and paint. The paint proved to be fairly complex. Primer, silver undercoat, maroon, gold, translucent red, black, decals, clear.......oh and the wet sanding and sanding and sanding and sanding........ so much tape and masking......

Anyhow, I learned a skill and the bike is a true beauty. I'm very proud to say it is not hacked into an oddball. It is more than 95% OEM. A true classic that remains a classic. It was a year round daily rider. Unfortuneatly, it has been in storage since 2014. Soon, it will receive all needed maintenance to get into the wind again.

Thanks for the Welcome.

Another part of my mechanic excursions is in my Avatar. In 2011, I purchased a 1981 Honda CX500C. It was a wrecked non-running bike. The accident was the bike was rear-ended and went down on the left side against a curb. The left side and rear were heavily damaged. Many days and hours hunting parts just to get tn to start and idle. Then the real repairs began. Mostly electrical issues. Water pump problems, a few engine oil leaks, clutch slip. Once all was running and behaving, then it was time to disassemble and paint. The paint proved to be fairly complex. Primer, silver undercoat, maroon, gold, translucent red, black, decals, clear.......oh and the wet sanding and sanding and sanding and sanding........ so much tape and masking......

Anyhow, I learned a skill and the bike is a true beauty. I'm very proud to say it is not hacked into an oddball. It is more than 95% OEM. A true classic that remains a classic. It was a year round daily rider. Unfortuneatly, it has been in storage since 2014. Soon, it will receive all needed maintenance to get into the wind again.
Few years ago i acquired a 1976 suzuki re5 that was a barn find. Engine is a rotary and its seized. I too had the idea of restoring it. Unfortunately can't find anybody locally that knows anything about them, let alone find any replacement parts. At any rate it makes the largest paper weight i've ever had.

Yeah, the rotary engine is a nice idea. Although, many issues with the lip seals. Mazda had a terrible time with their rotary in the early 80's.

I'm sure parts for that will be scarce.

You will probably be better served by dropping a 2.0L Toyota 4 cylinder in there.

FWIW, I took my bike to a Honda mechanic shortly after I purchased it. He basically said he had no clue to how to service or diagnose a bike that old. I guess without a computer port to plug into to tell the mechanic what part cannon to use.............. So, I found a Factory Service Manual and stepped in. Yeah, I made mistakes. Sometimes 1 step forward required 2-3 steps backward.

Last edited:
Yeah, the rotary engine is a nice idea. Although, many issues with the lip seals. Mazda had a terrible time with their rotary in the early 80's.

I'm sure parts for that will be scarce.

You will probably be better served by dropping a 2.0L Toyota 4 cylinder in there.

FWIW, I took my bike to a Honda mechanic shortly after I purchased it. He basically said he had no clue to how to service or diagnose a bike that old. I guess without a computer port to plug into to tell the mechanic what part cannon to use.............. So, I found a Factory Service Manual and stepped in. Yeah, I made mistakes. Sometimes 1 step forward required 2-3 steps backward.
Didn't suzuki build a 750 2 smoker that year? They were water cooled.

Sorry......Don't know.

I've only rode Honda. Over the years, I've had many riding buddies on other brands. My Hondas were always ready to go. Exceptionally reliable. The other brands not so much.

I never owned a honda, only had some interesting results competing on a borrowed xr 250 in an ama hare scrambles race. I've had mostly yamaha, and ktm bikes.

Mine have all been street bikes, primarily cruiser style.

Completely different riding styles and skills between street and off-road. Bikes are designed differently for the different terrains.

Mine have all been street bikes, primarily cruiser style.

Completely different riding styles and skills between street and off-road. Bikes are designed differently for the different terrains.
Yeah, they are somewhat different, but it reality not really. If you can be a successful off road rider, riding a street comes naturally. I raced off-road years before i bought a road bike that was a yamaha 650 twin. Didn't take long before i blew it up. Traded it for a 78 suzuki gs 1000 which turned out to be an awesome bike. I had more yamaha's after that even owning a TZ250 i did some amateur racing with. Still have a early 90's 125 ktm motocross bike sitting somewhere buried in the corner of the garage.

My dream bike has become very rare and expensive.

1980-81 Honda CM900C.

OEM condition is best. Don't care if it runs or condition of paint. I can handle those issues.

I'd prefer it not to be hacked into a piece of yard art. But if its been hacked into some sort of abortion of a bike......pass.

Those old 70's kawai h2 death traps are becoming pretty collectable. A friend recently sold his 1973 750 H2 in mint condition that he no longer rode.

Back