Olli K

Hello everyone.

My name is Oliver and I am waiting for my 2021 silver-sky metallic Tacoma to arrive at the dealer. It should be ready by the second week of October. I "ordered" the TRD off road double cab with the long bed. I'm going to want to get a camper shell / truck cap / whatever name you want to call it and I'm looking for suggestions, recommendations and warnings.

I'm open to suggestions for camper shells. What I am looking for is one that can support a fair amount of weight. I work in construction and will use it to carry materials and some equipment around town. The truck is coming with the factory roof rack and I would like to get a roof rack on the shell to match the height of the one on the cab. Some options I would like to have are: carpeted ceiling, LED lighting and either sliding side windows or win-doors with sliding windows.

I have looked at Leer, ARE and Snugtop, Century and Smartcap. All of them look nice and I would like to get some feedback on any of these anyone may have tried. Which is recommended, which should I avoid. I'm leaning toward ARE with Snugtop and Leer in second.

Any help with finding a camper shell would be appreciated.

I'd also like to know about any beginner level trails that are within a five to six hour drive from Richmond, VA. I have no recovery equipment budget yet, all I have right now is a shovel and some other hand tools. This is my first time getting into off roading on four wheels so I'm only looking to "get my feet wet" with this adventure.

Thanks!
Olli

My new Tacoma has arrived at the dealership. They are installing the bits and bobs that I want. Should have it tomorrow evening. I'll post photos of it when I get a chance.

My new Tacoma has arrived at the dealership. They are installing the bits and bobs that I want. Should have it tomorrow evening. I'll post photos of it when I get a chance.
Lookin' forward to the pics!

Ugh! The wait must be driving you nutz!
Got another call from the dealer...they *couldn't* get to my truck today so they will get to it in the morning. Pushed back AGAIN. I'm calling dealers in the surrounding areas to see if they have the model I want on hand. If someone has one, I'll probably go get that one. If the dealer I'm waiting on wants my business, they are going to have to drop the price on the truck or on the add-on's.

Deal went well. They gave me more for my 2006 Civic with 290k than I thought they would and they discounted the accessories and truck too. Photos to be posted in appropriate thread soon.

Back