Help with ABS and Stability Control/ locked shifter.

'13 pre runner TRD-OR DC 1gr-fe

Hi everyone, so I'm hoping I can get some help. I'm either looking for advice or a link to a thread about this issue.

My ABS and Stability control light internmently come on (turns off quickly if i start driving sometimes but never stays on more than a few minutes) . Also my gear shift won't shift out of park sometimes. I'm not sure if it is connected, but sometimes when I pump the breaks it will release the gear shifter and allow me to shift it.
After reading here and there, I read that it could be a brake position sensor causing the issue.

Anyway thanks for your help in advanced. I'm hoping I can get this fixed!

Not sure if the gen2 trucks auto gear shift lever is controlled by a cable to the transmission like the gen3 's are, but that cable can get sticky needing grease. Maybe someone else with a gen2 can chime in on those issues.

Not sure if the gen2 trucks auto gear shift lever is controlled by a cable to the transmission like the gen3 's are, but that cable can get sticky needing grease. Maybe someone else with a gen2 can chime in

ok so I have a new symptom. The taillights won't come on at times. I had my wife watch the lights and there were times when I was pressing the brake pedal pretty hard and no lights were illuminating. This leads me to believe my original suspicion of the brake pedal position sensor being bad. I'm going to have it scanned in the morning for stored codes

Starting to wonder if you've been a victim of rodents chewing a cable/wires.
So new symptom. I had the truck scanned and it did in fact pop up a code for the brake light switch. I swapped it out with a new one and it's no longer locking the gear shifter into park, but the abs and traction control light are on all the time now and the brake lights are on all the time as well. I'm going to have it scanned, then if it's still showing the brake light switch, I'll have the code cleared. If that doesn't work in going to do a VSC relearn and see what happens. After that if that doesn't fix it, I'll take the abs sensors and clean them up and see what happens

So new symptom. I had the truck scanned and it did in fact pop up a code for the brake light switch. I swapped it out with a new one and it's no longer locking the gear shifter into park, but the abs and traction control light are on all the time now and the brake lights are on all the time as well. I'm going to have it scanned, then if it's still showing the brake light switch, I'll have the code cleared. If that doesn't work in going to do a VSC relearn and see what happens. After that if that doesn't fix it, I'll take the abs sensors and clean them up and see what happens
Usually when you see the vsc light lit...your traction control is turned off. What happens when you try to turn it back on?

Back