How has ownership of your truck been so far?

rocket

I opened this thread because of the statement by a neighbor of mine,after I said I was looking for a toyota truck
His reply was I don't look at anything non-American.....After being a ford owner and dodge ram owner and witnessing the old top gear,absolute murder of a toyota pick up. I am convinced this is by far the most reliable, and dependable truck on the market and has been for years.Every truck has their unique problems but these trucks will at least run to get you to a remedy, not like some others previously mentioned here.
I shrugged the comment off if I don't get a free vendor spot from him next year at his hot rod swap meet I won't sweat it.

I bought my 2016 in early 2018. I've put around 30k on it and so far it's been a dream. Gas mileage is good, ride comfort is great, hauls everything I've asked it to, and all I've done is oil changes and tires.

I bought my 2016 in early 2018. I've put around 30k on it and so far it's been a dream. Gas mileage is good, ride comfort is great, hauls everything I've asked it to, and all I've done is oil changes and tires.
What size/ tread of tire did you get?

Bought my first tacoma in january of 2020. So far its been flawless. Gets 23 mpg, 19 towing my 5x10 utility trailer to the landfill or the snowmobile up north. Really happy with it so far.

I opened this thread because of the statement by a neighbor of mine,after I said I was looking for a toyota truck
His reply was I don't look at anything non-American.....After being a ford owner and dodge ram owner and witnessing the old top gear,absolute murder of a toyota pick up. I am convinced this is by far the most reliable, and dependable truck on the market and has been for years.Every truck has their unique problems but these trucks will at least run to get you to a remedy, not like some others previously mentioned here.
I shrugged the comment off if I don't get a free vendor spot from him next year at his hot rod swap meet I won't sweat it.
Mine's a 2011 access cab with a 4 cyl and 4 speed automatic. Other than being a bit underpowered, I like the truck.

My 2016 TRD OR 4x4 6MT has 110,xxx miles and no issues (knock on wood). I had two Chevy s-10's and both were terrible.

Tell your neighbor that just about everything in eyesight is unfortunately "non-American".
A lot of rams are Mexico bred. I hadn’t thought of it at the time however lol

I've seen other year tacoma's the same color as mine, all double cabs. No sr5 2020 access cabs in that color i've seen yet. Dealer i ordered it from told me your not likely to see another either.

In the 303 months and 264k miles I've had this truck it has stranded me 3 times and almost a 4th!
2 were weather related... a nasty Iowa January blizzard spun off i80 state patrol picked me up to safety. the other caught in a neighborhood during a blizzard and found the 4wd switch to be malfunctioning
The other was a DIY mishap whilst changing the engine fan fluid coupler that I was unable to correct and needed a tow
The almost 4th was when a large hunk of metal broke from the engine right into that moving fan blade that I changed previously

The next potential stranding most likely will be when that clutch bearing finally calls it quits and I cannot get in or out of gear... It would stink for that to happen in the middle of South Dakota where there Is not much of anything for 200 miles!

Last edited:
Baby steps after 250,000 miles. I guess that’s the message here lol
Idk, toyota pickups never left me stranded. Maybe i was lucky...had a dead battery in my driveway one morning in my tundra with close to 200k miles on it. All i did was the required maintenance on that truck for 19 years and just short of 300k miles...it was good to me. Costliest issues were the exhaust, steering rack, and timing belt kits. Truck is still running fine today with a new owner.

i dread the coming winter cold months, truck is NOT safe to drive until its warmed up and that awful nasty noise that first popped up last year goes away
it takes about 12 miles @ 65mph to stop making mind-numbing racket in 20 below freezing temps (12*F)

i dread the coming winter cold months, truck is NOT safe to drive until its warmed up and that awful nasty noise that first popped up last year goes away
it takes about 12 miles @ 65mph to stop making mind-numbing racket in 20 below freezing temps (12*F)
Sounds like time to upgrade. I like winter just fine. No more high humidity, and 90+ days for 3 months, although this truck seems to thrive in summer.

Back