In Bed outlet open ground, low volt

I have a 2022 Tacoma off road w/only about 2,500 miles on it. The outlet in the bed shows an open ground and only puts out 111-112 bolts. Truck is on and button on dash is pushed. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks

It could be as simple as a broken wire or a bad connection. It could be as complex as a bad inverter. Either or, don't mess with it....just visit the dealer with a warranty claim.

The voltage is within normal range.

Typical house voltage can range from 108-132 Vac. The tolerance range is mandated by law or regulations to +/-10% from nominal 120 Vac.

Normally nominal voltage is 110 - 125 volts AC. Shouldn't be an open ground.
That’s interesting about the fluctuation of voltage (110-125v). It says 120v on the switch so I assumed it would be 120v. I will go to the dealer and not say anything about the voltage and see what they come back with. But the open ground fault is definitely something that needs to be corrected. I’ll post the results here.

It could be as simple as a broken wire or a bad connection. It could be as complex as a bad inverter. Either or, don't mess with it....just visit the dealer with a warranty claim.

The voltage is within normal range.

Typical house voltage can range from 108-132 Vac. The tolerance range is mandated by law or regulations to +/-10% from nominal 120 Vac.
Thanks. I’m learning something here.

Agreed. Only mention the open ground. If they ask if you measured the voltage, be up front, tell them what you measured.

It may help with their diagnosis of the problem. Maybe the voltage you measured is low for Toyota specifications.

120 Vac is a nominal voltage for homes. The utility company needs to operate within the +/-10% for voltage.

The frequency, 60 Hz, is held to a much tighter tolerance. IIRC, frequency tolerance is +/-2%. The frequency drives motors, clocks.....all sorts of things designed to operate at 60 Hz. Most people don't realize how many motors are in their homes, Refrigerator, Freezer, Washer, Dryer, Furnace, Air Conditioner, Garage Door Opener, Hair Dryers, Vacuum, clocks, sump pumps, well pumps........to name a few common things.

Thanks. I feel a little better about the voltage. I will focus on the open ground fault. I have an appointment for this Wednesday at the dealership.

If you have a 110 volts ac or so, why do you think there's an open ground fault? There is no system ground for an inverter in a truck. If you try to ground the inverter, you're going to blow fuses in the truck, and hopefully not damage the inverter in the process.

I put a circuit tester on it (like you do for a house outlet and it registers “open ground fault”. I wish I had another Tacoma to test it on for a comparison, but unfortunately I don’t. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who can do this for me for? I take it in to the dealer on Wednesday (4/26).

Just dug through the wiring diagram for the Inverter on the 2005-06 Tacoma. I can't say about the 22s but I'd be surprised if the ground wasn't needed.

There is a ground from the bed plug & the inverter to a location near the inverter. Sorry, the diagram isn't more specific on the location of the ground point.

1682386707278.png

So it is sounding more like there shouldn’t be an open ground fault. Would still be interesting to hear what results someone has if they plug a tester into the outlet.

Okay, so here is the answer to my question: I just returned from the dealer. I used my tester to show them the open ground fault indicator. Neither the service rep or the master mechanic had seen this before. I suggested we plug the tester into another vehicle to see if the issue could be duplicated? We did that, and as it turned out the open ground fault on the other vehicle also showed up. So bottom line is that if you plug a tester into the outlet in the bed of a Toyota vehicle will show an open ground fault. Apparently few people check their outlets for this. We all learned something from this, even their master mechanic. Hopefully this will help someone else if they run across it too.

If you have a 110 volts ac or so, why do you think there's an open ground fault? There is no system ground for an inverter in a truck. If you try to ground the inverter, you're going to blow fuses in the truck, and hopefully not damage the inverter in the process.
Turns out you are absolutely correct . See my last post on this topic.

I'm not exactly a newbie when it comes to this stuff. There are electronic circuits that are designed with different type grounds....some use hot grounds, and others chassis grounds.

Home testers are set up to test for three wire 110-120 volt systems. They are needed to check GFCI's. But AC does not require a ground to function. Heck for decades homes were built with only two wire systems. Three wire is "safer" but not having it doesn't effect functionality.

Yeah, back in the day all we had was earth ground, or system ground at the electrical panel. Outlets used metal boxes with bx cable using the metal sheave as a ground.

Back