Interior smells

spring794

I just fixed an a/c leak in my dad's tacoma. The a/c works great now but when it's on it smells really bad. It use to smell like transmission fluid before (this happened after my dad accidentally spilled the fluid while refilling it) but now it doesn't smell like trans fluid, but it smells really bad. Any ideas what this is and what could fix it?

I just noticed a musty old socks smell coming from my cabin air vents when I am just blowing outside air, no A/C on just the blower. I checked the cabin air filter and it is clean and dry. Anyone else experiencing this?

I'll look under the cowl. Do Tacoma's have cabin air filters? On my mom's car it's behind the glovebox door. I've looked there on my dad's 98 tacoma and his friend's 04 tacoma and I haven't seen a cabin filter.

I just noticed a musty old socks smell coming from my cabin air vents when I am just blowing outside air, no A/C on just the blower. I checked the cabin air filter and it is clean and dry. Anyone else experiencing this?

Whenever I first turn on the A/C I have the same smell. I'm also stumped, but I haven't changed the cabin air filter yet.

I responded to this thread because it was relevant. I do have a 2nd gen but from the inquiries I have made elsewhere, the musty odor issue prevails indiscriminantly. Most manufacturer's technical bulletins instruct to disinfect and deodorize to please the customer, including Toyota. The more sensible solutions I have found are based on two simple facts: a dry a/c coil is desirable, humid air condenses on the coil.

The manufacturer's design provides a means to drain off the condensation with a drain tube. I found the tube protruding through the firewall in the engine compartment, passenger side, and watched the end of it while I ran the a/c; no water draining. I pushed a plastic straw up the tube but hit a solid stop. I found the tube inside, and where it goes through the firewall is a 90 degree elbow. I pulled the tube through which was flexible enough to squeeze and work, and that's when the dam broke. I have draining condensate now!

See my new thread on the Maintenance Forum for a link to a Toyota Service Bulletin.

Another sensible tip I liked is to dry the coil by running the fan for a few minutes after you turn off your a/c. I have started to turn the a/c off the last 5 minutes of my trip and divert to the floor vents. This works for me.

Last edited:
Where I live it smells like that outside my house and inside my sons car, IT'S STINK BUGS:censored:! Fall is here and they are into everything!

Fabrieze make an air freshener that you hook onto the air vents, it really helps a lot. The stink bug smell will get on you also from driving the car., trust me:laughing::thumbsup:, the fabreze will stop that also.

Where I live it smells like that outside my house and inside my sons car, IT'S STINK BUGS:censored:! Fall is here and they are into everything!

Fabrieze make an air freshener that you hook onto the air vents, it really helps a lot. The stink bug smell will get on you also from driving the car., trust me:laughing::thumbsup:, the fabreze will stop that also.

Yankee candle makes sticks that go in the vents that smell like their candles. Which is great.

Back