Just About There

drb77

After 7 months and about $7K, the 4th gen SR5 is starting to look like a real 4X4 truck.
Below are the significant external mods;
BFG KO3 265/70-17 tires
Lomax tonneau cover
Rough Country front and rear recovery shackles
RCI steel front skid plate
Bed step

Attachments

• IMG_0953cpy.JPG
    IMG_0953cpy.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
Thats nice, I can see the tonneau cover, and maybe the bed steps, but did you really need the other junk?

Last edited:
Yes, when my current 2nd gen TRD OR work truck fails to be reliable in the oilfield, this 4th gen will be it's replacement. I've had many occasions when I've been drug from mud holes on "lease roads" with a dozer. And they need to be ready to go in any weather/road conditions (my operations are 24/7). I have an FJ Cruiser for fun stuff, but the Tacomas are intended for the business.

Attachments

• IMG_09502cpy.JPG
    IMG_09502cpy.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
Idk, about the 2024 gen4 tacoma's being intended for business. Other than the sr models for light duty service work, the rest of the trims are too nice to beat on. I think toyota made them more of a white collar person's truck to play with.

Last edited:
Idk, about the 2024 gen4 tacoma's being intended business. Other than the sr models for light duty service work, the rest of the trims are too nice to beat on. I think toyota made them more of a white collar person's truck to play with.
IDK what Toyota intends but all of my Toyo 4X4 trucks, 4 since '91 have been near-perfect vehicles for my mixed use. And that's why I went with the new '24. I'm not at all sure these new models will be as reliable, but I didn't find anything better that I wanted to experiment with.

Depends who you ask on these mid size trucks these days. Ford has a pretty good start with the ranger, and good reviews with their smaller maverick. A buddy of mine traded his 2019 trd or for a 2021 Nissan pro 4x...claims it's a better truck than the garbage gen3 he had. Even gm has up'd their game. Hopefully toyota has done enough on these gen4's to stay ahead. Imo, toyota has been getting more like the domestics every year.

Depends who you ask on these mid size trucks these days. Ford has a pretty good start with the ranger, and good reviews with their smaller maverick. A buddy of mine traded his 2019 trd or for a 2021 Nissan pro 4x...claims it's a better truck than the garbage gen3 he had. Even gm has up'd their game. Hopefully toyota has done enough on these gen4's to stay ahead. Imo, toyota has been getting more like the domestics every year.
With all of the fed safety and EPA regulations/specs, Toyota is surely being forced to comply, just like all of the other brands. Consumer choice has been relegated to last place (and the deep state couldn't care less). Get ready for the midget, e-cars with fees for each mile driven.

At least that won't happen for awhile if the orangeman, and republicans take control of both houses. They're not all in like many of these crazy dems.

Back