Keep topper? Sell topper and get bed cover?

RuckU2

As the title says. I like the way my Taco looks with the topper, but I can't haul anything in the bed. Because the opening is only 31" tall. Like my snow blower, etc.

Should I take it off, sell it and get a nice bed cover?

Attachments

• truck.jpeg
    truck.jpeg
    758.6 KB · Views: 4
subbed for the decision you go with....
i have always had open bed with liner so no relevant experience to offer

An open bed has its advantages for sure except when it rains or snows you can store anything that will get ruined if wet. I finally had enough of that over the years and broke down ordering the factory tri-fold tonneau cover when ordering my truck that has a 6' bed. The cover will fold up enough to get my snowblower in shutting the tailgate. Does 90% of other items i have to. If more i just remove the cover for that job. You just need to remember to use a protectant on this cover every few months.

I won't recommend what you should get. I will relate my experience with a bed cover.

I had a GMC Sierra 2500 HD, 6.0L, Extend Cab with a bed cover. The cover was great at keeping debris out of the bed or hauling lumber or sheet goods. Didn't do squat for fuel efficiency.

Anything taller than the bed side walls, I would remove it. Easy to remove, pain to store when off the truck. After a few years, the vinal began to look weathered, dirt would collect in the texture. Scubbing and clean up was a pain. The lift struts weakened and were replaced within 4 years. Not a hard job, just a PITA. I felt the lift struts should last longer. They were mostly in the closed position.

All in all. I'm glad I don't have a cover or a shell on the Tacoma. Typically, any debris in the bed blows out when I reach speeds over 35 mph.

I leave my bed open but in the past I had a Silverado regular cab short bed that I put a vinyl folding cover on it. I liked the look and kept using Armorial to keep it from weathering. It was very easy to either fold back or remove. Liked it a lot.

Not recommented at all to use armor-all on a tonneau cover, their vinyl, it won't do squat to protect vinyl. They make special protectants just for these covers like 303 or wolfsteins.

A real leather cover would be neat but I bet pricey $$$
Or genuine sheepskin o_O

Back