Long bed vs. Short bed

I will likely be ordering my truck in the next few months. All I see on the dealer lots are the short beds. Have yet to see a '16 with long bed on the road.
I'm selling my JKU because it is not a good work vehicle. Need a bed.
Would like to know the +/- of both (ride, cost, resale, towing, appearance, availability......)

Ride and towing are both gonna be a little better with the longer wheel base, cost will be more, appearance is up to you, I like the look of them better than the short bed, but I've looked at a DCLB every time I look at mine...

I thought about this for a long time before I ordered mine. I decided I probably wouldn't use the long bed enough to justify the extra cost. So I compromised with myself and got the short bed with the bed extender.

I have a long bed. Depends what your going to use it for. I have dirt bikes so need extra space. Short beds are useless especially if you throw a toolbox in then you have a about 3 feet left of space
ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1457408840.497998.jpgYep... Absolutely useless. It's not even a truck anymore and might as well be junked for cash

We need pictures of a '16 long bed and a '16 short bed side by side and the whole short bed being useless thing is b.s. However i personally am very glad i got a long bed unless im in the city.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1457662474.193152.jpgNot exactly what you're asking for, but my '14 Off Road will beat the tits off this '16 2WD any day of the week!!
P.S. Sorry 2016Baja... May your truck serve you well over the years to follow

Just a small load of about 800 lbs of tile and cement board. Doesn't look like there's any space left... Such an incapable truck!! :)ImageUploadedByTaco Forum1457761987.339190.jpgImageUploadedByTaco Forum1457762000.145542.jpg

Last edited:
Love my Access Cab with long bed. IMHO, the bed of the vehicle has to be longer than the roof, unlike Double Cab with short bed, otherwise it doesn't look like a truck.

Last edited:
If your taco doesent have enough bed space buy yourself a trailer. An extra 12" of bed doesent turn your machine into a cargo King. My short bed has hauled a ford tractor, 6000 pounds of gravel, a cord of green firewood with a trailer of corse...

Last edited:
Too bad there aren't any tent racks that could make for a perfect camping vehicle no matter the bed length... That would just be way too convenient to step up into the bed, take off your shoes and other dirty items, and get into the tent without making a mess inside of it. This world is doomed unless we solve these important issues!!

Back