Love or hate leveling kits

I traded my lifted Jeep Wrangler for a 2021 Taco TRD offroad about 2 months ago.

I would like to lift the truck up just a bit. The leveling kit route looks appealing to me, not only for the price, but also because I wouldn't actually mind keeping the stock suspension.

The only thing I want to get out of the lift is some ground clearance, and some more space in the front wheel well area.

I don't wanna go nuts with this truck like I did with my old Jeep. The thing stuck out like a sore thumb, and I'm kinda liking that I blend into the crowd now.

So my questions:

- Has anyone had any problems with leveling kits?

- Is there any obstacles I need to be aware of when lifting a tacoma? For example, diff vacuum hose length. Drive shaft angle, shocks maxing out, control arms bumping anything.. etcetera.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Last edited:
I would avoid a leveling kit if you plan to go off roading at all. The factory struts do not play well with spacer lifts. I did a ready lift spacer set up that ended up pancaking my front struts and caused $1800 in damage. The most bang for your buck would be the Bilstein 5100's. They reuse the spring and top had, but they are adjustable (at time of install) to give you the level you want without compromising ride quality. they are not overly expensive ( i think i paid 125 each for the fronts) and the ride felt better than factory imo.

I would avoid a leveling kit if you plan to go off roading at all. The factory struts do not play well with spacer lifts. I did a ready lift spacer set up that ended up pancaking my front struts and caused $1800 in damage. The most bang for your buck would be the Bilstein 5100's. They reuse the spring and top had, but they are adjustable (at time of install) to give you the level you want without compromising ride quality. they are not overly expensive ( i think i paid 125 each for the fronts) and the ride felt better than factory imo.

Exactly what I was looking for. Someone to talk me out of it. I had a feeling that $135 + the cost of an alignment would be too good to be true.

I guess I'll hold off for a little bit on a lift then. But I would like to make my mind up on what lift kit to use.

I want to do 2" in the front and 1.5 or 2" in the rear. I guess I'll look around some more, and I'll check out bilstein.

@Bigfoot Tracker check out bilstiens website. cart_bilstienus_com. you can enter your vehicle specs and shop the products, then once you figure out what you are looking for they have part numbers on the site that you can use to find them either through a vendor or amazon where ever you shop.

@Bigfoot Tracker check out bilstiens website. cart_bilstienus_com. you can enter your vehicle specs and shop the products, then once you figure out what you are looking for they have part numbers on the site that you can use to find them either through a vendor or amazon where ever you shop.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll take a look into that site.

I looked through what they had on their site, and I think I made up my mind. I'm interested in this.

Also, the only other thing I would need is a diff drop kit, right?

Screenshot_20220430-002947_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Back