My first Tacoma, 2023 TRD Off-Road. What to do first...

MRBedwell1776

So purchased my first Toyota and my first truck this past December. Prior I had been a Jeep owner but needed something better offroad ;-)

I use my vehicle for offroad, primarily hunting and camping, no extreme off roading but I take my vehicles down some pretty rough trails. What would be the first thing to do with my truck to fit this purpose?

First of all you would need to identify how rough your off road excursions will be. One persons idea of off road may not be the same as another. I've lived off a poorly maintained dirt road for years that can get very rutted with mud holes, and large rocks until the town recently overhauled it completely. This bone stock 3rd gen sr5 tacoma I now have had been more than capable, and its only got all season tires.

Well last time was out, nearly toppled forward into a pretty big draining erosion. I live in AZ, 4x4 all over the state from desert to high mountains, the roads are steep, rocky, and tight (think side by side), I have hit my front skid plate and my hitch going in and out of washes. If that helps at all. I was thinking of doing a winch for my first upgrade but did not know if there were any recommendations for something more mechanical, or related to suspension I should spend my money on.

Well you're clear on the other side of the country. No experience out there. Best to see what other 4wd clubs are using on similar trucks in your area. Mud, ice and snow are the biggest issue's here in New England to worry about, and these tacoma's for being all stock are pretty amazing vs the tundra I had.

Back