Negative offset wheel / tire size recommendation

Alpine_Junky

I bought a 2016 Tacoma with a lift, looks to be about 2-3 inches, and it retained the stock rims and tires. I am looking to replace with negative offsets (to get the tires to stick out a little more) and larger tires (because the ones on it now being its lifted look a little small).

Can anyone recommend a tire / rim combo that will fill up the space a bit more and still allow me to install V-Bar tire chains? The Kenda Klever is catching my eye. Would like rims that lean toward the budget side; are more utility than show. It is a 4cyl / 5 speed.

20200308_170545_HDR~3.jpg I have Level 8 rims 17x9 , 4.5 backspace , -12 offset I probably should have got the 17x8 with -10 .but I still like them. Its just a 265/70/17 looks a little wimpy on a 9 inch rim .Hankooks dyna AT.love the tires got 20k and the tread looks new and I put bigger flares on it recently.And take a look at the same rim in a 16" ,it looks a little tighter.imo not going to use 17 inch wheels again there is not as many size options as 18" or 16" :)

Attachments

• 20211218_073142~2.jpg
    20211218_073142~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Not to steer the conversation off topic, but I don't understand why most folks in the Tacoma world (I'm coming from Jeeps) talk offset vice backspace. Telling someone you have a wheel with -6 offset and not saying what rim width you have is no help. For example, -6 offset on a 9.5" wide wheel is only about 5" backspace, which may not be enough backspace to clear the stock UCA with some larger tires like the OP is asking about. -6 on a 8.5" wheel however would be closer to 4.5" backspace and provide plenty of clearance. I'm running a 9" wide wheel with -12 offset, which also comes out to 4.5" backspace, same as a 8.5" wheel with -6 offset. My point being offset is relative to wheel width. Does no good to know one value without the other. Also, backspace is ultimately more important when talking about clearing larger tires in my opinion. I can see why offset and rim width would matter in some applications where you were trying to keep the tires inside a fender well, but I don't think that's the case with 99% of Tacoma owners asking about negative offset and larger tires.

To try and answer OP's question, I'm running 9" wide wheel with -12 offset (~4.5" BS), and 285/70R17 (~33") tires. I'm also on stock suspension waiting on lift to arrive. Clears the UCA fine, but had to do quite a bit of trimming (CMC, viper cut, additional inner liner trimming). Even with 2-3" lift, you'll likely rub with 33" tires offroad unless you limit articulation in some way. Add chains into the mix and it'll be even more challenging. Hopefully others will weigh in with first-hand experience, but I think you'll find that running 32" tires may be as big as you can go while still clearing chains unless mainly sticking to flat roads.

Back