Never overfill your gas tank from the car care nut

I always filled mine up till I couldn't get anymore gas in it.

Never had a problem with any other cars.

Had my check engine light come on 2 times on my Tacoma. Firs time I waited about 2.5 hours for them to run every test known to man, to find nothing. Service dude asked me if I topped off my tank, told him yes. He said it had to be the reason for the light. It ran perfect.

I didn't listen and would round it off to an even dollar amount. Check engine light came back on again. I told them to just reset the damn thing.

Now days when the pump stops, I stop. Been over a year and no check engine light.

When the pump clicks off, thats it. I generally take my 6 gal. fuel container with me when filling up the truck...what ever is extra, i'll usually fill it up or round it off to the nearest dollar. Lawn tractor needs to get fed to.

Ok, I watched the video. I have always filled every vehicle up until it drips out the top. The only vehicle that didn't like this was one of my motorcycles. It stuttered until I had burned off some of the excess fuel and it ran just fine. The other vehicles never gave me any fuel smells ever. Maybe the gasoline never made it to the canister. I understand what he is describing but none of what he was saying ever happened to my vehicles. The only time I had any kind of gasoline odor was when it would do a little more than drip out the top and get on my shoes. Then when I got back in the car there would obviously be a gasoline odor in the car.

With my new truck I have not taken it all the way to the top. I'll put another gallon or so in after the pump clicks and so far I have not had any issues.

Last edited:
Ok, I watched the video. I have always filled every vehicle up until it drips out the top. The only vehicle that didn't like this was one of my motorcycles. It stuttered until I had burned off some of the excess fuel and it ran just fine. The other vehicles never gave me any fuel smells ever. Maybe the gasoline never made it to the canister. I understand what he is describing but none of what he was saying ever happened to my vehicles. The only time I had any kind of gasoline odor was when it would do a little more than drip out the top and get on my shoes. Then when I got back in the car there would obviously be a gasoline odor in the car.

With my new truck I have not taken it all the way to the top. I'll put another gallon or so in after the pump clicks and so far I have not had any issues.
Ikd if thats a good habit to continue or not. Still think its best to stop when the pump clicks full. My trucks fuel gauge has always registered a full tank when that happens.

Back