New 2nd Gen Taco Owner

Ragnar The Redneck

Well-Known Redneck
Greetings and salutations from north Georgia!

Just bought my first Tacoma a couple of days ago on Taco Tuesday. It is a 2009 TRD Off Road in Timberland Mica. It was a one owner Tacoma that was extremely well taken care of, frame rails look awesome, and was even recently inspected by a Toyota dealership and given a clean bill of health. I have only found two things wrong with it: the radio antenna is broken off at the stud, and the driver's door armrest fabric is weak (seems to be an irritation with most Toyota vehicles from this generation). No pics yet, it has been raining, but will get some posted soon.

Ron - North Ga
2009 TRD Off Road
1986.5 Supra
2015 BMW 335i GT

Welcome aboard. You're lucky you're not up here in salt country. An unprotected frame would be toast right now, A dealer near me as gen2 frames stacked up like cord wood against the outside of their building waiting to be replaced. Being a boxed frame, they rust from the inside where you won't notice it till its too late.

Scratchy gauge lens? Looks crystal clear with my vision... :p I was actually happy with the red/orange gauge lights at night. Reminded me of older BMWs.

255k miles and nary a squeek nor rattle nor odd sound. Tight as a drum. Engine purrs. Transmission shifts great, no clunks. All fluids look great. Pedal pads have very little wear, driver seat looks barely used. If I had not seen the miles, after seeing and test driving it, I would have thought maybe 50 to 75k miles, max. Have all of the records from the Toyota dealership that serviced it as well. 5k mile oil changes. Religiously. Frame was checked at Toyota dealership around 205k miles and paperwork showed it was in great shape. It even has a fairly new set of Michelins!

Scratchy gauge lens? Looks crystal clear with my vision... :p I was actually happy with the red/orange gauge lights at night. Reminded me of older BMWs.

255k miles and nary a squeek nor rattle nor odd sound. Tight as a drum. Engine purrs. Transmission shifts great, no clunks. All fluids look great. Pedal pads have very little wear, driver seat looks barely used. If I had not seen the miles, after seeing and test driving it, I would have thought maybe 50 to 75k miles, max. Have all of the records from the Toyota dealership that serviced it as well. 5k mile oil changes. Religiously. Frame was checked at Toyota dealership around 205k miles and paperwork showed it was in great shape. It even has a fairly new set of Michelins!
My trucks clutch parts are getting clunky at 300k lol
And my seatbelt recently started a very annoying rattle while buckled... So I can no longer properly buckle the seatbelt :confused:

Last edited:
You trying to tell us something we don't already know?
At least the suspension woes are not causing I too much grief in the southeast o_O
It's actually been quite the peaceful pleasant wheel once I made it south of Ohio river
...Just have to watch those deep recessed maintenance hole covers that seem to be plentiful
LMAO

As I have said before.......

A lumber wagon on steel wheels with frame mounted suspension will give a "smooth" ride on a smooth road.

The suspension issues on your truck, JayQQ97, still remain. Along with all the other identified problems.

I truly hope the truck will get you back home without a breakdown on the road or an accident.

By the way jay, imo, it isn't the wisest thing to go on one of these ''see the country tours'' with a truck that in an iffy condition at best.

So I tried, believe me I tried to get stuff diagnosed at several different places
Everyone of those monkeys slopshops, everyone! told me something different each and everytime every damned time
I get so damned fed up with all that racket and the wasted good coin spent on nothing but bullsh!t

Well.....I guess you can drive it until the truck breaks down. Then you will know what needs to be fixed.

Have you kept list of the problems with suggested diagnosis and repair quote????

I have a suspicion that some of the problems are compounded on each other. Example: The front-end suspension may only need UBJ and LBJ with possibly a few bushings. This may solve the clunky up front and the jumping out of lane events.

Dr assistant told me to watch my salt intake, BP is at dangerous levels she told me

Dr assistant told me to watch my salt intake, BP is at dangerous levels she told me
Bp is nothing to screw around with. You may not want to hear this, but get it under control asap. If you don't if will lead to far more serious issues as you age. I'm on a low sodium intake simple cause I had a stroke from a brain aneurism years ago. Doctors want my bp lower than the average to keep the aneurism from getting worse. I could have it operated on, but the chances of ending up a vegetable are too risky.

Back