Oil capacity

Taco Man

Hi everyone,

I have a 2002 Tacoma base model with a 2.4l and an automatic transmission that I got from my dad who bought it brand new. Since I've owned it I've always changed the oil and filter myself and 4.5 quarts has always brought it to the full mark on the dipstick after starting the engine and letting it run. A few weeks ago I decided to take it to an oil change place and the guy told me their computer shows that it calls for 6 quarts, I told him that 4.5 always brings it up to the full mark. He said he'd check the dipstick and see what it says and it was full! I'm just curious if anyone else has this issue?? 6 quarts seems like a lot of oil for 4 banger to me, that's the same capacity that my old '93 F150 with a 5.0l had! Just curious though!

Almost every 2.4-2.7 4 cylinder that I've known from toyota took nearly 6 qts. with a filter. Your oil change guy is correct. I wonder if your using the wrong fill marks on the dipstick, either that, or your not doing a complete drain leaving old oil still in the pan.

Almost every 2.4-2.7 4 cylinder that I've known from toyota took nearly 6 qts. with a filter. Your oil change guy is correct. I wonder if your using the wrong fill marks on the dipstick, either that, or your not doing a complete drain leaving old oil still in the pan.
I know I'm reading it correctly, it always shows full on the dipstick. I'll try to post some pics of the dipstick in a couple days to show you what I'm talking about. My driveway is on a fairly steep hill so I don't get a very accurate reading therefore I always check it in the parking lot at work before I leave because it's on flat ground.

Idk, you got me, unless you have the wrong dipstick/marks. You can check your owners manual for capacities...it should list what amount the engine holds. Pretty sure it's not far from 6 qts counting the filter. It's what most toyota truck engines hold whether a 4,6, or v8.

I've been looking this up on the interweb and found other Toyota Tacoma forums where people are claiming this is a common issue with these trucks, and apparently it's not unique to the 1st gen neither!

Some people are saying their's shows full at just 4 quarts others are saying their's is full at 5 quarts! Some people are saying they pour in a 5 quart jug and it shows over the full mark! WTF?!?!

Last edited:
I haven't gone into any other online forums where some have claimed engine oil capacities on their tacoma's, but have been over a buddies of mine large auto service garage seeing them do all sorts of repair work, plus general oil, and lube changes on a fairly large number of 1st to 3rd gen tacoma's over the years. Its always been about 6 qts for tacoma's, 4 cyl., or 6. 5, or so for older 22r, re engines for pre tacoma pickups.

Have you considered making a phone call to the local Toyota Service Center? I'm pretty sure they could offer a firm answer.
I could, I just didn't realize it's supposed to be 6 qts. I just always went by the marks on the dipstick. I'm just curious why there's such a discrepancy.

As I said in the previous post I looked on the interweb and found other Tacoma owners encountering this as well!

Been doing an online search what others claim for oil capacities in their 4 cylinder 2.4 tacoma's. After spending a bunch of time on various forums, only thing I could find out...it was always between 5.25, and 5.8 qts. No one has claimed less than 5 qts. Imo, if your putting in less its incorrect.

Okay this is the dipstick hopefully you can see it's almost perfectly on the full mark with 4.5 qts. This is 1,000+ miles since the oil change.

Attachments

• 20241014_144456.jpg
    20241014_144456.jpg
    629.3 KB · Views: 3
Okay this is the dipstick hopefully you can see it's almost perfectly on the full mark with 4.5 qts. This is 1,000+ miles since the oil change.
Thats not any type of tacoma dipstick I've ever seen....it looks more like it came from a honda. You need to buy another dipstick thats for a Toyota Tacoma. Every tacoma dipstick usually has a low mark, and another higher one that you'd normally want to see the oil between the two marks when full.

Thats not any type of tacoma dipstick I've ever seen....it looks more like it came from a honda. You need to buy another dipstick thats for a Toyota Tacoma. Every tacoma dipstick usually has a low mark, and another higher one that you'd normally want to see the oil between the two marks when full.
The truck has had the dipstick since it was new, don't think Toyota would put a Honda dipstick in it. They could've inadvertently installed a Corolla or Camry dipstick in it I guess?!?!

Not saying for sure it's a honda dipstick, only that it resembles one. Every Toyota dipstick I've ever seen were different from yours.
I did run the part number in your pic, and it does check out as a 2.4 tacoma dipstick. Its very strange toyota used a dipstick as such.
Well, the next time you do an oil change, make sure you drain every bit of oil out, then add 5.8 quarts including the new filter. Run the engine on a level surface, and check the oil level on the stick several times. Then file a mark in the dipstick where the oil level is, so the next time you'll know when it's full.

Last edited:
Not saying for sure it's a honda dipstick, only that it resembles one. Every Toyota dipstick I've ever seen were different from yours.
I did run the part number in your pic, and it does check out as a 2.4 tacoma dipstick. Its very strange toyota used a dipstick as such.
Okay I didn't mean to imply that you were saying it's a Honda dipstick! I guess they used somewhat different variations in dipsticks on these trucks. I know you posted that you found other forums where people said the capacity on their trucks were at least 5 qts. The ones I found people were saying the capacity on their's were 4 qts on the low end to others saying 5 qts. and I saw others that were also saying 6 qts. on their's!

Something that just occurred to me, could it possibly be 6 qts. for say the prerunner and the 4x4 model and 4 - 4.5 for the base model 2wd like mine?

Idk about prerunners as there are none owned, let alone serviced around here...even 2wd tacoma's are scarce as a hens tooth. Every one up here buys a 4wd mid-size, or full size truck, or a 2wd full size pickup. I'd have to ask that question to a friend of mine that works at a toyota dealer the next time I see him. Usually once toyota builds an engine size, it doesn't matter what vehicle model its used in...they all carry the same amount of motor oil...it comes down to whether the vehicle uses an oil cooler that may add a 1/2 quart more.

Back