Problem with starter/solenoid... I think.

cowchise

My mother has a 99 tacoma sr5 that's been garaged for a few years. She's charged it on occasions and driven it once in a blue moon but recently the car wouldn't take a jump. She bought a new battery for it and it still wouldn't start. When the key is placed in the slot the car will chime. But when you turn the key to start it, it does nothing. No lights come on, no cranking, nothing. The headlights work and don't dim when you try to start the truck. She got me to look at it and I wanted to believe it was the ignition switch, not the starter, so I replaced it. It wasn't it. Wanted to know what you guys think.

My mother has a 99 tacoma sr5 that's been garaged for a few years. She's charged it on occasions and driven it once in a blue moon but recently the car wouldn't take a jump. She bought a new battery for it and it still wouldn't start. When the key is placed in the slot the car will chime. But when you turn the key to start it, it does nothing. No lights come on, no cranking, nothing. The headlights work and don't dim when you try to start the truck. She got me to look at it and I wanted to believe it was the ignition switch, not the starter, so I replaced it. It wasn't it. Wanted to know what you guys think.

Hum....could be a number of things.

1. Cables corroded/loose at starting circuit.
  2. Tranny not engaged in park for auto, clutch not depressed all the way in for manual.
  3. Starter jammed in flywheel ring gear. Remove and inspect.
  4. Starter solenoid out.
  5. Starter bad. Remove and have tested at local parts store.
  6. Ignition switch "checked" all wires connected? check again
  7. The last thing would be engine seized, to check take plugs out, try and turn crankshaft with large socket & breaker bar on the pulley bolt. (taking the plugs out would make it easier to turn over with no compression.)

That's all the manual has in it for your description of problem. Good Luck keep us posted. Also check all your wiring and plug-ins, could of had a mouse chew a few up. Been known to happen.

Hmm, if the lights don't come on (I'm guessing your talking about lights in the dash) I don't think the problem would be the starter.

Her is a tip tho, I had to rebuild the solenoid in my truck, if you have someone try to start the truck, then lightly tap the starter with a crowbar and if it does start up, that would mean you have a bad connection in the solenoid

Her is a tip tho, I had to rebuild the solenoid in my truck, if you have someone try to start the truck, then lightly tap the starter with a crowbar and if it does start up, that would mean you have a bad connection in the solenoid

Yeah I had to do that with my Chevelle, it would click and I'd crawl under and bang on it with a hammer till it clicked again and then it cranked over. Only did it once in a blue moon.

What it was doing was the starter gear was jamming into the flywheel teeth and hammering on it would release it.

Last edited:
Back