Protective film damage

Rob K

Hey guys

Just bought my first truck.. 2022 Tacoma TRD Sport. I bought it a week before hurricane ian hit. Some of the protective film peeled and I actually thought it was supposed to come off. Apparently this is a protective film gravel guard. I actually don't like it, they are off color and easily seen, the lines get dirty and I hear they discolor over years. Does anyone just remove them from your new truck?? Can body shop fix it and reapply it?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20220930_170427.jpg
    20220930_170427.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
i have heard it may be removed with a high heat gun and gently peeling it back, but i have never seen it done

did you look on YouTube for somebody that has done this to their film?

Same here. Idk, it looks more to be like something that was used to protect the trucks exterior during shipping. My 2020 gen3 taco didn't have it.

@Rob K . Yes, the film can be removed. A heat source of about 225F will help loosen the adhesive. Get a corner up, then keep the heat moving and lift the film. Don't peel it back on itself.

There maybe some left over adhesive. This can be removed with simple mineral spirits or something like GooGone.

Be aware. Generally, the film is applied to areas prone to chip damage from rocks or road debris. Without the film your paint will bear the brunt of the impacts.

FWIW, my '06 has film on the bed just in front of the rear wheels that is looking pretty poor. My plan is to remove the film in this area, then apply a product from Amazon called Raptor Protective Coating.

Back