Question about AC system

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that my AC system was not cooling as much as it used to. I would have to turn up the flow to keep comfortable.
Yesterday, seemingly quite quickly, it just quit cooling at all.
My question is this. Considering that the truck is approximately 12 years old, is it possible that the freon just slowly leaked out over time. Or is it more likely that I have had some kind of failure?
I want to go buy a can of 134-A and do the recharge thing, but I don't want to just piss away $45.
If there is a small leak, does the 134-A recharge bottles that include a leak sealant work very often? A waste of time and money?

2011 Tacoma

Well....... I know I'm the FNG.

But until you run a diagnosis on the system, you could well be wasting the $45.

Are you experienced working on automotive AC systems? If not, then seek a certified mechanic who works automotive AC.

FWIW, I wouldn't waste my time with a can of leak sealant. There are some very small capillary passages in the AC system. It'd be a bummer if the sealant clogged the capillary tube and foul the whole system. Then you are looking at big $$.

I have no idea how to work on an AC system, (hence my question here), nor do I have gauges and tool to work on it.
My thinking was that $45 would probably be cheaper just getting it diagnosed in a shop. That would probably cost twice what a can of freon would cost.

Kevin, you are probably right on the diagnostic cost.

You have no experience, no gauges, no tools to work on the AC. Do you know the correct "freon" the system uses???

In truth, the diagnostics could save you time, trouble and cost in the long game.

Consider. You spend the $45 to charge the system. The AC still doesn't work. You have already sunk $45 into the repair without any gain. Plus you risk aggravating the damage or creating more damage.

Alternate Path.
You use the $45 towards the diagnostic. The results come back that the system needs to be evacuated, seals replaced, evacuated and charged. Many shops will apply the diagnostic charges towards the repair cost. The shops levy the diagnostic charges to customers that don't return. The diagnostics take time and labor to perform.

Good Luck

Best to take to a A/C place who can evacuate and recharge the system. The machine will clean any impurities and send the refrigerant back into the system along with new refringent to top off the system. They will also introduce dye that will help spot any leaks in the system. Money well spent. If you overcharge with too much Freon you could damage the system.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that my AC system was not cooling as much as it used to. I would have to turn up the flow to keep comfortable.
Yesterday, seemingly quite quickly, it just quit cooling at all.
My question is this. Considering that the truck is approximately 12 years old, is it possible that the freon just slowly leaked out over time. Or is it more likely that I have had some kind of failure?
I want to go buy a can of 134-A and do the recharge thing, but I don't want to just piss away $45.
If there is a small leak, does the 134-A recharge bottles that include a leak sealant work very often? A waste of time and money?

2011 Tacoma
Have you checked that cabin filter?

+1 on checking the cabin air filter, I just replaced mine today, should have done it 6 months ago, just being lazy. I usually change mine every year, so this one was 1 1/2 year old and man was it dirty. Other than that go to garage that can do a/c service. For the most part I think you're just fooling yourself by thinking just throw some freon in there and it will be fine.

Think of it this way.....

If it needs freon, then it has lost freon. How did it lose the freon? Answer: Leak.

Until the leak is found and fixed....it will leak any additional freon forced into the system.

Back