Realistic Towing expectations

The engine is only part of the issue in that truck, as its only rated safely to tow 3500 lbs. Obviously you have never towed here in the northeast.
Are there many a hills in the northeast?
I've not been east of Detroit ever LoL

Are there many a hills in the northeast?
I've not been east of Detroit ever LoL
Depend on where your driving. The taconic range is right in my back yard. You could start from a couple hundred ft about sea level, and go to 2000' plus in a few minutes. For the most part its kind of hilly...lots of small rolling hills. Its not like the mid west at all.

Simple question needing a simple answer. Stay within the tow limits for your vehicle. These are published in the Owner's Manual.

Would a bigger truck with a bigger engine tow the load easier.......sure. Kinda an empty remark. FWIW, Tacoma is a 1/2 ton truck in a mid-size package.

Terrain will have an impact on fuel mileage, so will speed and weather.

Use your head, If the rig feels unsteady at the speed you are driving, then slow down. By all means, stay in the Right Hand lane and resist using OD, especially in hilly terrain. The Owner's Manual has good guidance on towing and vehicle management.

A key tip.....pay attention to the weights and the distribution of the weight. IIRC, the trailer tongue weight should be 10-15% of the GROSS trailer weight including the cargo in the trailer. The truck's cargo load is reduced by the tongue weight.

Air bags and other add-ons DO NOT increase the load or towing capacity.

The rating is bogus. That's bottom line fact.
Sorry. That statement is incorrect.

The FMVSS defines the test conditions that the vehicle must meet when towing a load to define the tow rating. The tests are standardized.

The manufacturers can not just make up numbers that will sell. Typically, it is the owner who is misunderstanding towing requirements leading to complaints about the capability.

There are tests for minimum acceleration speeds in a set distance, stopping distance from a speed, hill climb, cornering........

Back