Rear drum brake replacement time?

tlavergne

Have 2010 Tacoma with 110,000 miles. Replacing my front rotors and pads today for the 2nd time in it's life. It was definitely time. How often do the rear drums need attention typically? Is it time? It's going into the shop in two weeks for a complete fluid change. Since it is going there anyway I was thinking I should have it done. Don't think I want to open a can of worms and do it myself. Thoughts on rear brake replacement intervals?
Thanks....

Inspect 'em.....if they're low/thin on lining then replace. Front brakes do 75% of the braking with probly 25% for the rear. Definitely don't need to replace 'em as often as the fronts but eventually they get thin on the shoe and start getting into the drum.

Is there an inspection hole to see the lining or do I need to pull the drum off?
Pull the drum to inspect....very easy to do and gives you a full view of both brake shoes. Front shoe usually wears quicker than the rear shoe.

Left side drum and linings are fine but I couldn't get right side completely off. I broke the drum free but when easing it off I can feel it pulling brake shoes possibly with it. Think there is a lip worn or rust on the drum catching the lining. I will presume it is in the same condition as the left and check it down the road at 150,000 unless I hear some noise or notice a problem. Thanks.

Back