recommendations

ScottS

looking for an aftermarket exhaust that is the trifecta + ( increased MPG, increased HP, sounds great, and affordable). Any recommendations?

Allow me to clarify a couple things based in physics and fact not in marketing hype.

The engine, drivetrain, aerodynamics and load impact MPG, not the exhaust.
The engine burning fuel/air mix is the power source, not the exhaust.

Many exhausts will alter the sound, the trick is to find one that makes the sound you like.
Affordable is based on your wallet size. To some people $100 is affordable, to others $100 is a stretch.

Sure you'll find those that cite race cars open exhaust as power adds......but the exhaust is open to allow the engine to pump as much thru the pipe to sustain the high engine speed. If you want to boost "power" from your exhaust, you might try going to the next size pipe. Remember, to begin increasing size at the exhaust manifold and ports.

Suggest to consider Flowmaster, MagnaFlow, Hooker........

Good Luck.

Last edited:
I've heard a bunch of them on these 4, and v6 tacoma's...in all honesty they all sound terrible. The trd one was the least offensive. If you don't have a v8, you're just wasting your money.

I've heard a bunch of them on these 4, and v6 tacoma's...in all honesty they all sound terrible. The trd one was the least offensive. If you don't have a v8, you're just wasting your money.
Agreed.

A V-8 has a nice sound......the V-6 has a tendency to growl, a 4 popper whines.

The exhaust can alter the pitch, but it won't alter the tune of the engine......attempting a music analogy.......

Although, motorcycle engines play a much different music. My 2 cylinder CX has a nice mellow tone.

Imo, a farm tractor sounds better...you know what it is. These aftermarket exhaust systems on a tacoma sound like these cars young kids put fart cans on. All their good for is being noticed.

my trucks aftermarket exhaust is confusing me, the original Yota muffler blew a nice hole in the muffler topside last decade and decided to get a Borla catBack setup with a low note

so inspecting the muffler itself there is NOT one bit of noticed corrosion onit, nice and silvery still after 4 years
made of 304 stainless

the piping to and from that muffler, on the other hand, has sorta discoloured from silver to reddish pink? and has some noticeable black lines the length of the piping... I don't know if that is corrosion of a different kind or not?
the welds to everything look to be decent still, no corrosion or flaking that i have found

my relatives Gen2 taco muffler and piping is definitely looking roached with corrosion, I assume that muffler will be blowing a hole sooner or later as well

My neighbor had headers, and a dual borla exhaust system on his chevy for years. He recently had to replace the headers after they rotted out.

Last edited:
My neighbor had headers, and a twin exhaust borla system on his chevy for years. He recently had to replace the headers after they rotted out.

were those guaranteed?
supposedly i have a million-mile warranty on the catBack

hopefully i am not now running into exhaust leak issues near the cat on the other side to the engine
i can sometimes hear some abnormal sounds somewhere in 5th gear on the throttle over 70mph
all i need is one more big pricey maintenance issue to be popping up :mad:

I need a muffler for our '02 Chevy Trailblazer. Can't complain. Its the original muffler from '02, over 125 Kmiles and 20 winters. It has developed a rust thru exhaust leak near the outlet.

Unfortunately, the whole system is welded together. So this puts the work outside of my skill. May need to replace the whole thing from the header back................ hope not.

I'm sure all the fasteners, hangers and stuff is corrosion welded together.

In the 21 years of having that ride, it hasn't cost much more than tires, oil changes and sundry miscellaneous wear items.

The exhaust on the Tacoma is solid. Have no clue if its original or replaced.

if they used the same exhaust/muffler on the Gen2 regular and access cabs it could've been replaced if its shiny and NOT looking roached

Back