Seeking Advice on Tacoma Upgrades for Off-Roading

gowan57899

Hey guys........

I am new to the forum and wanted to reach out for some advice regarding upgrading my Tacoma for off-roading. I’ve recently purchased a 2023 Tacoma TRD Off-Road, and I’m excited to take it on some trails soon, but I’d love to hear from those of you who have experience with upgrades.

I’m particularly interested in improving its suspension and tires for better handling on rough terrains. I’ve heard great things about installing a lift kit, but I’m unsure which one would be the best fit for my truck without compromising its daily drivability. Also, what size tires would you recommend? I want something that can handle mud and rocks but still performs well on highways.

Additionally, I’m considering adding some skid plates for extra protection underneath. Are there specific brands or types that you would suggest? I want to make sure I’m getting something durable and reliable.

Lastly, if there are any other upgrades you think are essential for offroading, I’d love to hear your thoughts. I’m keen on making my Tacoma a solid off-road performer while still being comfortable for everyday use.

Thanks in advance for your help! I’m looking forward to hearing your recommendations and tips. It’s great to be part of this community, and I can’t wait to contribute back once I get some more experience under my belt.

Happy trails!

Depends where/what your off-roading is. These trucks are already very capable without a whole lot done to them when driving on woods roads. If going rock crawling thats a whole other ball game. My gen3 sr5 is bone stock, and I've had no issues getting to my favorite fishing spots I couldn't access with my old tundra, plus the taco is far better in deep snow than the tundra ever was.
Imo, many guys with those trd's way overdo it with lift kits, big ass heavy tires, and other non needed junk, only to use their trucks on a dirt road if that...its more to impress others they now have a bad ass looking off road truck. All those mods hurt the long term reliability of the truck, plus kill fuel economy. Keeping the weight down in these gen3 taco's are critical if you want both.
My best recommendation is drive the truck for awhile, and note what can be improved for your type of off road usage. Usually a better set of more aggressive tires is all thats needed.....maybe shocks to down the road.

Last edited:
Back