Shocks and Struts

Bluepepper

I have a 1st gen (2004) double cab limited TRD with almost 100k miles. It's been garage kept seeing mostly local traffic with a few trips hauling a trailer a year. I upgraded the front brakes with drilled/slotted rotors and have a K&N intake system, but no other mods. I think it's time for shocks/struts and would like to replace with fully assembled struts to make the installation easier (not crazy about compressing springs from previous experience). Everything I read so far seems to recommend Bilsteins either 4600 or 5100. I intend to keep stock wheels and ride height, but want to upgrade from stock. Are there any special considerations for a TRD double cab versus other models? Any thoughts shared here are appreciated.

Everyone seems to install 5100 bilsteins for gen2, and 3 Tacoma's. I guess you can set them for the stock height, but idk how they perform on a gen1 being a much lighter truck. You have Monroe quick struts that worked well on my gen1 tundra, but according to jay on this forum that had a set on his gen1, claimed they were junk. He only drives on asphalt, basically no off-road to speak of. Maybe he'll chime in with his review. If myself I would install a pair of kyb's when the time comes.

Back