Suspension lift vs body lift

Corey G

What’s up guys. New to the forum. I got my 2017 Toyota Tacoma double cab long bed off-road about 6 months ago. I’m looking to add a lift and some 35s. I don’t know much about the lifts. Can anyone give me their opinions and maybe some pros and cons. Thanks everyone!

You can click search topics for lifts there is a bunch of info... [emoji23] joking, welcome to the forum! Two main questions, what are you looking to do with the lift and What is your budget?

What’s up guys. New to the forum. I got my 2017 Toyota Tacoma double cab long bed off-road about 6 months ago. I’m looking to add a lift and some 35s. I don’t know much about the lifts. Can anyone give me their opinions and maybe some pros and cons. Thanks everyone!
Congrats on the Tacoma. Post some pictures.
Welcome to the forum.

You can click search topics for lifts there is a bunch of info... [emoji23] joking, welcome to the forum! Two main questions, what are you looking to do with the lift and What is your budget?[/

I was trying to keep the lift under 1700$. I honestly just like the looks. I don’t really
Off-road. And it’s not even my daily driver. It’s my after work and weekend vehicle. Mainly for fun.

Body lift cons:
looks bad
puts exagerated leverage on the body mounts
need to extend hoses, lines and steering linkage

Body lift pros:
....it's cheap?

Suspension lift cons:
can get pricey but you have to pay to play
can make the ride harsh
eats wheel downtravel

Suspension lift pros:
can make the ride better
doesn't look crappy
better overall handling performance

Are you 2wd or 4wd?

You’ll need at least a 6” lift to fit 35” tires and you’ll have to cut the cab mounts and probably trim some plastic.
These trucks are best with about 3” lift and 285/75/16 tires. You’ll need aftermarket wheels with 0 or -6 offset.

I was looking at 4 inch rough country suspension lift. It states that you can fit 35s.

Body lift cons:
looks bad
puts exagerated leverage on the body mounts
need to extend hoses, lines and steering linkage

Body lift pros:
....it's cheap?

Suspension lift cons:
can get pricey but you have to pay to play
can make the ride harsh
eats wheel downtravel

Suspension lift pros:
can make the ride better
doesn't look crappy
better overall handling performance

Are you 2wd or 4wd?

Thanks for the reply. 4WD. I’m looking at the 4 inch rough country suspension lift

Thanks for the reply. 4WD. I’m looking at the 4 inch rough country suspension lift

Personally I wouldn't buy anything from them. 2wd would have been easier to lift because no front diff.

Keep in mind that a drop bracket lift requires cutting of your front crossmember to mount the lower aftermarket one. This is something that is not easily reversed. Even if you don't wheel I'd save to get a better quality kit with coilovers.

I was looking at 4 inch rough country suspension lift. It states that you can fit 35s.

One of my friend put a six inches lift kit by King off road under a Tacoma TRD Sport. Cost him about 10,000$ Canadian. And he was only able to fit 34’ tires under it. I think that he have a 2013 or a 2014. Try to find more information on that Rough Country lift kit. I doubt that you will be able to fit 35’ with a 4’ lift kit.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything from them. 2wd would have been easier to lift because no front diff.

Keep in mind that a drop bracket lift requires cutting of your front crossmember to mount the lower aftermarket one. This is something that is not easily reversed. Even if you don't wheel I'd save to get a better quality kit with coilovers.

Who would you recommend I should get a lift from? Any why not rough country?

One of my friend put a six inches lift kit by King off road under a Tacoma TRD Sport. Cost him about 10,000$ Canadian. And he was only able to fit 34’ tires under it. I think that he have a 2013 or a 2014. Try to find more information on that Rough Country lift kit. I doubt that you will be able to fit 35’ with a 4’ lift kit.

I’ll look into it more. Thanks

Who would you recommend I should get a lift from? Any why not rough country?

If you are trying to keep the cost down then you are stuck with similar kits. Junk Country uses coilover spacers to lift the vehicle. It rides the same but you can damage the coilovers if you bottom out hard enough because the shock bottoms out internally before the lower control arms hits the bump stop. They include bump stop extensions but I just don't trust their product.

If you are trying to keep the cost down then you are stuck with similar kits. Junk Country uses coilover spacers to lift the vehicle. It rides the same but you can damage the coilovers if you bottom out hard enough because the shock bottoms out internally before the lower control arms hits the bump stop. They include bump stop extensions but I just don't trust their product.

Who would you recommend?

Thanks. I haven’t had the chance to do anything to it. In the near future I plan on doing a lot
It’s fun to mod them. Gets $$$. They have faux pro grilles for $150 that bolt right on. You can take the badges off easy enough or plasti dip them and the rear chrome on the bumper can be painted easy enough.

Back