Tacoma races when I'm at a stop sign

At a stop sign with my foot on the brake, the truck comes out of gear and races. It returns to normal once I slam it into park. Unpredictable and cannot recreate.
An observation: Truck is started in garage and going to the store. No problem. After short time in store, I'll start the engine and it may or may not happen very shortly thereafter.
I will take it to Toyota dealer. In the mean time when I restart the engine I will wait a couple of minutes before I drive. At any stop I will put it into neutral.

Last edited:
Sounds like a common problem but I see not definitive solution. A problem always happens on a Sunday. Will schedule on Monday.

Last edited:
Sounds like a sensor or ECU is behaving intermittently.

Could be a real bugger to hunt down.

Can you scan the codes in the OBD???

When you drop it at the dealer. Only tell them the symptoms and conditions when the problem develops. Do not offer a possible cause or solution.

Let them run the diagnosis. Tell them you want a quote on the repair before repair begins. Repair is not to begin unless you give the approval.

I have found some shops are not completely "clean".

I'm not sure about the laws in your state. I know where I live, the shop is responsible for returning the replaced parts to the car owner.

This avoids charging for parts that are not changed. You should be able to match the invoice with the replaced parts.

The owner can then elect what to do with the returned parts. Take home, let the dealer dispose......

Good Luck.

When you drop it at the dealer. Only tell them the symptoms and conditions when the problem develops. Do not offer a possible cause or solution.

Let them run the diagnosis. Tell them you want a quote on the repair before repair begins. Repair is not to begin unless you give the approval.

I have found some shops are not completely "clean".

some shops are OK 'parts changers' but are not necessarily 'good' mechanics
they tried EVERYTHING :eek:

Sorry Rock. I forgot to update. Toyota dealer had no idea on the problem. At least it is documented that I addressed the issue. When I stop I now put the truck in neutral. Thanks for your help.

I wouldn't accept that as a solution.

Do you have another dealer to try?

Try contacting Toyota Corporate Customer Service. This may need to be escalated.

I wouldn't accept that as a solution.

Do you have another dealer to try?

Try contacting Toyota Corporate Customer Service. This may need to be escalated.
'parts changers' vs real 'mechanics'

I would demand the dealer or Toyota figure it out as this is a safety issue for you and possibly others.

I took it to several other trusted mechanics. No dice. Toyota dealership charged me 130.00 to say they have no clue.
They all imply that it is user error since I'm 72. Maybe they are correct.

Back