Tacoma rear end whine

Jesse504

New to this. Have 2021 Tacoma TRD Sport with 19k miles. After having awhile noticed rear end whining. Didn't pay much attention til it started getting louder. I notice it around 25-30 mph. Only hear it with steady accelerator pedal. Don't hear when accelerating or decelerating. At highway speeds, 65 or higher, can't hear it due to normal road/wind noise. Took it to dealer, they ordered a rear differential but say there's 20 on back order so it will be awhile. After reading other posts, this seems, not unusual. At 80 yrs old, not my first vehicle but first with this noise. As a former drag racer I'm familiar with setting ring gear-pinion clearance. Any thoughts, ideas, opinions, suggestions, etc are appreciated.

It's not the differential. I've heard from dealers that have replaced them with new units, and the whine still is there. It's due to harmonics. Supposedly toyota replaced the rear leafs that corrected it, plus they had a tsb that added dampers to fix the noise by the time your truck was assembled.
Btw, it's more prevalent on the trd trims. I have a 2020 sr5, and it's been as quiet as a church mouse.

Hmmmm.....I think I'd take a look at the U-joints and the fluid levels in the diffs, xfer case, trans. These are simple things and may solve or ease the whine.

Before 2021, many owners have already replaced the drive shaft with a one piece aftermarket which included the u-joints to correct vibration issue's, and hopefully fix the whine, but it was still present afterwards. Also heavier viscosity fluids were tried in the differential with no results either. Toyota has claimed it's not a mechanical issue that is going to end in a failure. From what I understand the issue has already been resolved. Op needs to contact his dealer. Maybe his truck hasn't had the fix's yet.

Back