Taller wheels/tires.

Chucky

2011 Tacoma Access cab, 2.7 four cylinder,and automatic. Would a set of wheels and tires from a Tacoma 4x4 or prerunner hurt performance or otherwise tax the little engine or transmission?

2011 Tacoma Access cab, 2.7 four cylinder,and automatic. Would a set of wheels and tires from a Tacoma 4x4 or prerunner hurt performance or otherwise tax the little engine or transmission?
Taller wheels/tires will change the gearing somewhat and the weight/mass can cause less performance from the motor. There are many things to factor in when changing wheels and tires to a larger size.

Taller wheels/tires will change the gearing somewhat and the weight/mass can cause less performance from the motor. There are many things to factor in when changing wheels and tires to a larger size.
I'm not planning to go with anything radical, just what the pre runner or factor 4x4 is wearing.the little 4 with a 4sp auto is pretty tame as it is. I don't know if this would cause any undue wear and tear, or how much of an effect on acceleration. I like the bit of extra ground clearance and a better selection of more offroad tire selection than on the shorter wheel ant tire combo my truck came with.

I'm not planning to go with anything radical, just what the pre runner or factor 4x4 is wearing.the little 4 with a 4sp auto is pretty tame as it is. I don't know if this would cause any undue wear and tear, or how much of an effect on acceleration. I like the bit of extra ground clearance and a better selection of more offroad tire selection than on the shorter wheel ant tire combo my truck came with.
Not saying you can't go bigger, you will just lose a little performance and your odometer will be off just a little.

FWIW, the engine will have the same power output. The taller wheels and tires will take more power to move. They will also alter the overall gearing of the driveline. So, the truck will feel sluggish and likely consume more fuel per mile.

Also, consider how much extra ground clearance the "taller" set will give you. Remember, the ground clearance increase is the difference in diameters divided by 2. You could be spending big $$ to gain 1 inch.

Suggest staying with stock sizes. They will be less problematic in the long haul.

My truck has the 4.0L V-6 pushing through an automatic to turn 17" OEM wheels wrapped with 265/70-17 tires. Running at 70 mph, I will consume fuel at 20 mpg. The truck is not a rocket ship, but it is quick enough for all I need. Certainly, I don't want to hurt the fuel use to gain a pittance of ground clearance.

Not saying you can't go bigger, you will just lose a little performance and your odometer will be off just a little.
That's what I'm thinking. Speedometer error I can compensate for. Performance? The little 4 banger with an automatic is already just acceptable as far as power. I think I'll leave the OEM tires and wheels alone.

FWIW, the engine will have the same power output. The taller wheels and tires will take more power to move. They will also alter the overall gearing of the driveline. So, the truck will feel sluggish and likely consume more fuel per mile.

Also, consider how much extra ground clearance the "taller" set will give you. Remember, the ground clearance increase is the difference in diameters divided by 2. You could be spending big $$ to gain 1 inch.

Suggest staying with stock sizes. They will be less problematic in the long haul.

My truck has the 4.0L V-6 pushing through an automatic to turn 17" OEM wheels wrapped with 265/70-17 tires. Running at 70 mph, I will consume fuel at 20 mpg. The truck is not a rocket ship, but it is quick enough for all I need. Certainly, I don't want to hurt the fuel use to gain a pittance of ground clearance.
That's what I thought. The 4 banger is a bit anemic especially running an automatic.

Back