Temp gauge

tacojoel

I know it's no longer winter, but board, and nit picking now that it's become a hot summer. I've had a question on these 3rd gen v6 temp gauges thats been bugging me for several years now. Here goes...when it becomes near zero temps outside, my truck takes forever before showing a normal mid temp reading on the gauge. If you come to a stop light...in a few seconds the temp gauge will drop a 1/3 of the way until you get going again, then it's normal till the next red light. This will repeat itself over, and when going through traffic lights. Dealer says thats normal, these trucks are cold blooded. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same. Truck runs perfect otherwise, and better than others.

Whats the point of this video...it has nothing to do with what I asked. The Lexus has a differently tuned engine, and it doesn't have the same cooling system as a 3rd gen tacoma. The video above is about overheating, due to loss of coolant. They are not issues of mine.
In the future, try not to load up a thread with junk videos that have nothing to do this ....please stick with the issue I posted above.

Last edited:
Education!
Not informative at all?
It says Temp gauge in the title

Last edited:
@tacojoel

I can only offer a guess. The engine block is a large mass of metal, it takes a while to reach a stable temperature. You may be seeing the Thermostat opening and closing. Consider. When driving the engine speed is up, also driving the coolant pump, moving large amounts of coolant. Now, at a stop the engine drops to idle, coolant flow reduces, cold block has more time to chill the coolant.

If the truck is running without issues and things stabilize after a few miles, then don't worry, all is good.

with @tacojoel

I can only offer a guess. The engine block is a large mass of metal, it takes a while to reach a stable temperature. You may be seeing the Thermostat opening and closing. Consider. When driving the engine speed is up, also driving the coolant pump, moving large amounts of coolant. Now, at a stop the engine drops to idle, coolant flow reduces, cold block has more time to chill the coolant.

If the truck is running without issues and things stabilize after a few miles, then don't worry, all is good.
Yeah, I get what you're implying. In a normal cooling system this would have stable temps, not drop down when at an idle speed when its zero temps like whats happening to this v6. A normally working thermostat would see to this in any past engines. From what I've been able to gather, this taco's cooling system is electronically controlled along with using a manual thermostat. Can't explain it, but It's like something is slightly out of sync. I'm mainly trying to find out from others if they have noticed the same issues when it's really cold.
On another note, if outdoor temps are above freezing, the trucks temp gauge when running, operates perfectly normal never moving from 1/2 scale whether at idle, or 2k rpm.

Last edited:
Back