IMG_20221125_162036_133.jpg
IMG_20221125_162126_647.jpg

It is some kind of joke, no?
How poor these are made to last it out in certain climates

yikes! brain hemorrhage here
why did this get posted in Gen3 section

this belongs in the Gen2 section...

but now i am a bit curious....

was the quality of these stock skid/radiator support undercover guards improved over the yuck Gen2 genuine 'quality' (or lack thereof)?
or is that jury still out on this one :confused:

are the Gen3 stock skid radiator guards (whatever they are called) made out of better thicker materials?

are the Gen3 stock skid radiator guards (whatever they are called) made out of better thicker materials?

I'm curious.....what would you consider as a "better" material???

Steel. 8 gauge, 1/8", 1/4".....1" plate. Wood, Aluminum, Stainless Steel..........Unobtainium

Rust happens. Best defense is clean and dry with follow up maintenance.

Fact is not all these trucks go 4 wheelin' Most spend their lives on hard pavement. It is a little questionable as a skid plate. It maybe designed to guide air flow or control splash into the engine compartment

I'm curious.....what would you consider as a "better" material???

Steel. 8 gauge, 1/8", 1/4".....1" plate. Wood, Aluminum, Stainless Steel..........Unobtainium

Rust happens. Best defense is clean and dry with follow up maintenance.

Fact is not all these trucks go 4 wheelin' Most spend their lives on hard pavement. It is a little questionable as a skid plate. It maybe designed to guide air flow or control splash into the engine compartment
That kind of rust should not happen in less than a dozen years in this climate

Better material meaning thicker gauge, better coatings, etc

Maybe gen3 are equipped with aluminum plates?
The TRD brand I see perhaps?

My tundras engine skid plate was a heavy plastic. Seemed to hold up fairly well where i drove. All my past toyota 4wd compact pickups use a steel plate. Probably wouldn't hurt to cosmoline the steel tacoma one i have now.

My tundras engine skid plate was a heavy plastic. Seemed to hold up fairly well where i drove. All my past toyota 4wd compact pickups use a steel plate. Probably wouldn't hurt to cosmoline the steel tacoma one i have now.
I am gonna cosmoline the new one when it arrives before install
Sucker cost over 100$ even after 41% off MSRP sale

I hope the middle plate on that '11 is in salvage repairable condition or it's another 100$ fixit :mad:
It has rusty around the edges also as I was able to see

Just checked this after 5 months and the crap got even worse

Another rott hole formed on the opposing side of the grapefruit hole

Flaking rott all over everywhere

Good thing I pulled the engine skid plate on my truck last month, as rust was starting to take hold around the mounting holes. I wire brushed it clean and gave it 2 coats of cosmoline.

Did
Good thing I pulled the engine skid plate on my truck last month, as rust was starting to take hold around the mounting holes. I wire brushed it clean and gave it 2 coats of cosmoline.
Did You spray cosmo on the fasteners and nut welds if gen3 has that setup like gen2 does

Did

Did You spray cosmo on the fasteners and nut welds if gen3 has that setup like gen2 does
I just coated the bolts with some belray waterproof grease. It works well on my dock bolts. Everything else in that area of the chassis was already coated with cosmoline 3 years ago and still looked great.

You know.....these rants are very entertaining.

My Gen2 was made in '06. Lived all its life in Iowa with snow, salt, sand, humid, hot.........running on a farm, up/down gravel roads.

The steel "skid" plate under the radiator/engine does show some rust on the edges, but nothing even close to the claims.

Funny, I don't do anything with rust inhibitors. I just keep it as clean and dry as possible.

This whole plate is delaminating very quickly

Pics will be needed once it's cut off and suitable replacement found

You know.....these rants are very entertaining.

My Gen2 was made in '06. Lived all its life in Iowa with snow, salt, sand, humid, hot.........running on a farm, up/down gravel roads.

The steel "skid" plate under the radiator/engine does show some rust on the edges, but nothing even close to the claims.

Funny, I don't do anything with rust inhibitors. I just keep it as clean and dry as possible.
We probably get more rain, and salt here in the northeast, although my past 4wd toyota pickups during the last century didn't show much rust on the engines skid plate after 7 years either. I think they were vented, and didn't collect moisture.

It seems to be an oddity with this trucks skid plate then!
Because it's roasted bad

Back